John Brookfield's "the Rotation"

Gio

I mentioned this in another thread, but figured a thread of its own was warranted.

I'm interested in the exercise called "the rotation" described by John Brookfield. It works one hand at a time, but he doesn't clarify if the free hand should hold the "stick" still between turns for the working hand. Does it? Would targeting the pronators and suppinators like this work for supportive grip strength? Should I expect hypertrophy around the wrist (pronator quadratus)? If I train with this exercise, then I'll probably use a bar measuring 2-2.5" in diameter instead. Thanks for the input.

No. You don't use the other hand at all.

This is why he said use a stick with a diameter of about 1".

With 2.5" diameter stick, you'll have to use the other hand.

BTW, you can this same exercise without the rope attaching the weight.

I do these with a sledge hammer and just choke up on the handle to where

I can complete the turns. ;)

And yes, it will work the crap out of your pronator. :)

Hope this helps.

BTW, you can [do] this same exercise without the rope attaching the weight. I do these with a sledge hammer and just choke up on the handle to where I can complete the turns.

Oh :rolleyes (duh), of course -- sledge hammer. Thanks.

BTW, you can [do] this same exercise without the rope attaching the weight. I do these with a sledge hammer and just choke up on the handle to where I can complete the turns.

I just realized that these wouldn't be the same exercise because of the differences in wrist position. Brookfield's "rotation" works like one turns a door knob or opens a pickle jar, whereas, the grasp on a sledge hammer places the wrist in a neutral position. No deviation -- make sense? Does "the rotation" seem to offer more functional strength training?

Well I'd like to see a video of someone doing it because I tried it today and it's VERY hard. Using only a 2Kg weight my hand was so pumped after a couple of reps I couldn't rotate the pole anymore. FWIW I was using a 1" dia pole 48" long. I don't know what the torque at the end was but it was tricky!

I guess it would be tricky to wind the rope up on the stick with only one hand. I just do reps with the wrist roller.

I just had an idea, though. I might build it just to see if it works as well as I think it will. I may even have all the parts I need.

to be continued.....

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it would be tricky to wind the rope up on the stick with only one hand.

Interesting exercise. I use a 2 in. black PVC pipe and pronate 180 degrees then reverse -- turning 20 lbs. 8 reps each way per wrist so far. Free hand provides some support/guidance, but isn't totally necessary because the weight isn't wound 360 degrees. Make sense?

FYI to anyone following this topic:

Yesterday I worked 3 sets of 15 reps each way per hand, and I've never experienced this kind of soreness in my hands -- down to my finger tips! Wrists are fine, though. Must be the 2" PVC pipe taxing the grip. Comments?

I forgot all about this thread... We just had our second child, so I think its forgivable? Anywho, the build didn't work. As it turns out, PVC likes to 'stick' too much to get a smooth action.