Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricMilfeld

Documentary About Stanless Steel

206 posts in this topic

I came across a bunch of articles on it just a few days after seeing him in June at the AOBS. I had decided that I was going to do a MILO article on him, emailed Strossen, and then the next day, came across this movie stuff. It surprised me, as I spoke with him for a while at AOBS, and talked to Slim about Stanley that night. No one said anything about this. I printed out two or three of the articles, mailed them to Slim, who has known SS since he was a kid, and put in a note saying "Can you believe someone made a movie about STANLEY?" I was going to call Slim, but did not.

I emailed Strossen after I came across the info, and he didn't know anything about the movie either.

I thought I would keep quiet about it and see how long it would take to show up here.

Stanley is a different kind of guy, and everyone dances around the issue of his issues when writing about him. This movie will probably show him warts and all, which is pretty courageous of 'ol Stanley to allow this to be done.

I think the film is kicking around art houses at this time.

Looks cool.....Anyone have any rough release dates on the film?

looks like it will be pretty cool.

I must try to see it too ...

Looks interesting.

Here's another good write up. But I can't find any info about show dates and locations.

http://newyork.going.com/event-602716;Roof...Films_Strongman

I tried to find out info for you the other night with no luck. You know, I bet you could just contact the guy that filmed it - his contact info was on one of the sites...

I'll be looking forward to this :)

As someone who has only seen one or two small/cropped pics of Stanless Steel, I was shocked at how thick his fingers are :blink

As someone who has only seen one or two small/cropped pics of Stanless Steel, I was shocked at how thick his fingers are :blink

I am not sure I have told this story on the Gripboard, but I love to tell it to non-grip people, and they always laugh hysterically...

I put my hand up against his a few years ago. He does not have large hands, but they are extremely thick. I don't remember what his were, I would guess around 7 5/8s. But his thumb seemed to be extremely short. Then, as I was looking at his "short thumb", I noticed that it was not really THAT short, it appeared that the "webbing" in between his thumb and index finger was "filled up" with about one inch extra of thick flesh, making the thumb look shorter than it actually was. I had never seen anything like that before. Right at the time I was noticing that, Stanley points to my "normal hand" webbing, and says in his unique Stanley voice that sounds partially like a 70s stoner, and the rest that can only be described as Stanley's, "The meat! You don't have any. You don't have any meat!" :D

At the very end of this video clip Stan bends a bar wrapped in a hand towel holding it with extended arms at shoulder level. He unwraps it to reveal an "S". I want to know exactly what it is, because it looks eerily like a Red Nail. The video isn't real clear, but it could be 5/16", and it does look like red paint on the end of it. I really wouldn't think it possible...

http://www.vimeo.com/3167143/

At the very end of this video clip Stan bends a bar wrapped in a hand towel holding it with extended arms at shoulder level. He unwraps it to reveal an "S". I want to know exactly what it is, because it looks eerily like a Red Nail. The video isn't real clear, but it could be 5/16", and it does look like red paint on the end of it. I really wouldn't think it possible...

In 2006, Slim said "Stanley has what I call 'stupid strength'. If you tell him something is impossible, then he will try to do it." He wasn't saying Stanley was stupid, but he was saying that he was incredibly stubborn and determined. He felt that SS's approach was not as systematic and logical as others. Not Slim's exact words, but that was what I think was his point.

In Dennis Rogers' archives, he has a piece on Stanless..."Stanley is also the best bender of partial movements in the world". Quite a statement coming from Dennis Rogers.

Eric, it does not answer the question, I know. Some time in the next couple of weeks, I will call him and ask him. I wanted to call him and tell him about Jedd's contest to see if he wanted to go watch it anyway...

Great video Eric; thanks! The guy in the Steelers hat cracked me up and lookes eerily like Ashton Kutcher.

I saw that also but I can clearly see the head and point of the nail when the guy holds it up at the end (definitely not a Red). Could just be a 60d but bending it into an "S" is still very impressive - who else could do that? Gazza maybe? Not all the bend is shown so we don't know how much of it was done in that style. The documentary would probably be interesting to watch even if it focuses more on his failure to market himself as a showman than his feats.

Mike, that would be great if you could call him. Perry says it had a head and a point, so I guess it was a 60D or possibly even a 70D?

Josh, I agree. :D This documentary looks to be entertaining on various levels.

By the way, Perry, Paul Knight has bent a couple of 60D nails into an "S"! I guess depending on how tough the nail in question is, several of the better benders could pull this one off. Of course starting the bend with the technique Stan employed is another story!

Stanley is levering a hammer in some of these images on the review pages. I wonder what weight it is.

-Rex

Stanley is levering a hammer in some of these images on the review pages. I wonder what weight it is.

-Rex

Is that all you think about ? ! :laugh:laugh

-Rex

Is that all you think about ? ! :laugh:laugh

I get on these month to two month obsessions. First it was double overhand bending. Then blob by the face. Then Inch. Then blob farmer's. Then grippers. Now hammers. Bear with me. It will soon pass.

-Rex

By the way, Perry, Paul Knight has bent a couple of 60D nails into an "S"! I guess depending on how tough the nail in question is, several of the better benders could pull this one off. Of course starting the bend with the technique Stan employed is another story!

I've bent a 60d into an "S" a couple times but with leather and close to the body (using a combination of styles) like many guys on here have. It's Stan's technique with the arms out that seems really impressive - it's like Heslep style but way harder with the awkward positions on a nail with 2 bends. I think the towel wrap only increases the difficulty and risk of injury. Let's hope this gets released on DVD or something.

I've bent a 60d into an "S" a couple times but with leather and close to the body (using a combination of styles) like many guys on here have. It's Stan's technique with the arms out that seems really impressive - it's like Heslep style but way harder with the awkward positions on a nail with 2 bends. I think the towel wrap only increases the difficulty and risk of injury. Let's hope this gets released on DVD or something.

Exactly. I forgot to mention the tiny towel thing, too.

I see they posted some more show dates for October in New England and Memphis.

Exactly. I forgot to mention the tiny towel thing, too.

I see they posted some more show dates for October in New England and Memphis.

ROAD TRIP!!!

-Rex

I spoke with Stan this morning. I told him about my wanting to do a MILO article on him, stumbling across the documentary accidently, and then it showing up on this forum.

He was intrigued by the Gripboard, and may get registered at his sister-in-law's house and view it from time to time. I doubt if he will have a personal computer soon. He was also intrigued by the upcoming GGC to watch it. Not sure how far he lives from it, I think 200 miles max.

His nail bent into the S shape was probably a 60 Penny nail. He described it as "average". No, not a red nail or special stock. The hammers in the stills were "stock hammers", hickory handles, he thought with 28 1/2 inch handle with a 12 lb head. I think he mentioned he sometimes adds a pound to the head, but our dog kept barking about that time and I didn't ask him to repeat it twice.

I will probably talk to him again in the next week. He likes talking more about this kind of thing than the movie itself.

He knows me as:

Mike from the Dinner