Blackdog's Workout Log

Blackdog

Background:

Starting my workout log now. To be honest I have not done any grip in 4 months due to nerve pain in shoulder and neck. I basically stopped all exercise for that time also. All I did was walk the dog on the beach. Now it's time to get motivated and get going. I had a log on KTA forum. This is my new log.

Plan of Attack:

To workout smart. Which I define as 'slow progression', cross training (stretching, aerobic, weights, plyometrics etc) Grip will be balanced. I will eat properly to support my physical activity. I will have fun. I will not be fanatical and extreme (this is something I need to watch).

I am in the process of writing up a weekly regiment. I am starting this log to get my butt in gear. :rock

Goals (order is not relevent):

2. hubbing 2 45's

3. touching my head against my knees standing with legs straight

4. marathon this year!

5. Getting my dog lean and mean again (meaning he will be running with me in my training)

6. Doing a lot of functional strength exercises on anerobic days.

7. Have a tight workout plan that does not take more than 1hr 15min per day on the week and 2 hrs on the weekend.

I welcome comments, tips, motivation etc.

If anyone wants to chime in at anytime I do welcome that and appreciate it. I am constantly learning, and I keep my eyes and ears open for new stuff.

Thanks

Bryce

Monday at 9:00am

Stats:

Height: 5' 10 1/2"

Weight: 185 lbs

BP: 123/ 89

Resting Pulse: 52

COC level: After not doing anything for 4 months I can close the the #2 on right hand still.

Hub level: 37 lbs right hand

Haven't got my routine worked out yet. It will include keeping my dog active. Today will be powerwalking with weights, grip will be weaved in there soon

Day 1 Monday

(as you will realize this is not going to one of the most exciting logs on the block, but hey! it keeps me motivated) I am slowly coming back from injurys.

-Powerwalked 40 min

-10 min ab work, push up, etc (supersets)

- Played with the grippers - smacked the #2 with right hand (after 4 months of nothing!!!! Right on)

Adios :)

• 2 weeks later...

First good comeback workout since nerve pain. :rock

Felt great. A lot of stretching. Core stuff and stability ball with weights. Just what the doctor ordered. Taking it slow. Did some pinch work, nothing really to talk about yet.... :) And some wrist curls.

Feel good to get back in the game. Gotta keep it positive. Any set backs will be taken in stride.

Will write down reps, sets, weight, etc. when routine is fully up and running. Right now it's all about stretching, recovery, and doing the motions. Sweating is very important too. :D

Adios

All I can say is Hooray!!! :)

I had another good workout today. Threw around some Kettlebells, ab work, etc. It is nice to be back. I am still very conservative. I will play with the grippers this week lightly.

Time to rock and roll again :rock

Sounding good so far, methinks I shall keep an eye on your log book as your height and weight is similar to my own. I would like to see how you approach keeping cardio in balance when pushing about the weights.

How many days a week are you training?

It's been about two years, and I'm back for another go. I read through the lessons learned topic in Grip FAQ, twice, and here is what I come away with. Note: This is for me.

1. This is not a race. I will hurt myself yet again if I jump in too quickly.

2. I am doing this for myself.

3. I will develop greater all-around wrist/arm strength, not just grippers.

4. I have eaten the "whine" list.

Your first post in this new log looks alot like the first post in my new log I started last year. One thing I still neglected was extensor work, and ended up with elbow tendonitis, forcing over a month off in December/January. Now I'm fighting to get back to where I was in November. Everything looks good, just don't neglect the extensors.

Sounding good so far, methinks I shall keep an eye on your log book as your height and weight is similar to my own. I would like to see how you approach keeping cardio in balance when pushing about the weights.

How many days a week are you training?

I am training 7 days a week. 3 day anerobic, and possilby 4 (which will include my gripwork) the rest aerobic (running, or power walking) Routine is not yet set up yet. Right now I am flabbergasted that the nerve pain is not bothering me. It's about all around fitness for me!!!

It's been about two years, and I'm back for another go. I read through the lessons learned topic in Grip FAQ, twice, and here is what I come away with. Note: This is for me.

1. This is not a race. I will hurt myself yet again if I jump in too quickly.

2. I am doing this for myself.

3. I will develop greater all-around wrist/arm strength, not just grippers.

4. I have eaten the "whine" list.

Your first post in this new log looks alot like the first post in my new log I started last year. One thing I still neglected was extensor work, and ended up with elbow tendonitis, forcing over a month off in December/January. Now I'm fighting to get back to where I was in November. Everything looks good, just don't neglect the extensors.

Hey Alan,

I appreciate you weighing in here. I know you have had somewhat of a similar story. I have the challenge of being an 'all or nothing' type guy. I am going to go for it but in a moderate balanced way. And yeah I am doing extensors. I appreciate the support :rock

I am training 7 days a week. 3 day anerobic, and possilby 4 (which will include my gripwork) the rest aerobic (running, or power walking) Routine is not yet set up yet. Right now I am flabbergasted that the nerve pain is not bothering me. It's about all around fitness for me!!!

Sounds good! I would like to see how separate days work out. I currently do split days, both cardio and weights 5 days a week with the weekends off. Getting kinda close to burning me out so maybe I'll switch to a little closer to one like this... I look forward to seeing how this progresses. Good luck! and stay safe.

Another beautiful day in the gym yesterday. Played with the grippers lightly, 1 1/2 COC hold both hands. Some hub lifting and Heavy Hammer. Everyday core will be implemented. Maybe I will out a schedule this weekend. I have been testing the waters with everything due to past nerve stuff and you know what?..... the water feels great! :rock

Adios

Saturday:

No actual routine yet. Just getting the body moving.

- 1/2 hr solid stationary bike.

- Some sledge movements

- 25 lb hub holding for time

- Expand bands

- Ab work

- The main thing is that I am cleaning up my gym and getting ready to get fully back in the game. Still going to do some more cleaning tonight.

Sunday:

Enjoyed the Superbowl. Good game :rock

-Powerwalked 20 min on beach

-Ran 20 min on beach

That's it

Monday:

10 min AB Work

10 min Power Walking with 3.3 lb DB

40 min Run

10 min Power Walk w/ DB

10 min stretching

A few holds with 1.5 COC filed on each hand.

Expand Bands

Takin' it sloowwwwww

Tuesday:

15 min Ab work

40 min powerwalk w/ 3.3 lb DB

10 min stretch

Grip

#1 - 13 full reps each hand

Expand bands white - 13 reps

#1.5 filed 20 second hold each hand

expand bands white - 20 reps

C ya

Wednesday:

Did not do anything. Something came up. But I am getting closer to some type of workout schedule. Here is an idea at the moment.

Monday: Abs, Run, Stretch

Tuesday: The same

Wednesday: Abs, weights, stretch

Thursday: Abs, Run, stretch

Friday: Abs, Weights, Stretch

Saturday: Same as Friday + taking the dog for his Saturday swim (he swims 45 min straight in the ocean :rock . He's an animal!!!)

Sunday: Abs, Powerwalking, Stretch

Grip will be roughly 15 min throughout the weight program days and will be implemented throughout the day on the aerobic days.

After 6 months I will substitute one of my running days for Plyometrics. My body is not ready for that at the moment.

In the beginning of Spring there is a chance I will need to have exploratory surgery to see if my inguinal hernia operation has been undone a little. If the results are positive I will have the surgery and training will be put on hold.

It's all about slow progression for this fella. As AnimalCage has said and I need to remind myself, "It is not a race".

Now swimming is something I wish I could do (now were you talking about your dog or you?) I've always heard its a great cardio workout especially for people recovering from an injury. However I've never been much of a swimmer, I sink like a lead brick. lol

Now swimming is something I wish I could do (now were you talking about your dog or you?) I've always heard its a great cardio workout especially for people recovering from an injury. However I've never been much of a swimmer, I sink like a lead brick. lol

The dog is a big swimmer. Too cold for me now. :cool

You don't want go swimming in the ocean in Fairbanks that is for sure. That is the definition of cold

Friday

Did a lot in the Gym. Converted 4 dumbbells into 2" and pull up bar. As much as I can I will use 2" for weight lifting. Need to convert my barbells into 2" for deads, squats.

Today workout:

-Core work

-Upper body work

-Grip

a. holds on 30 lb hub

b. #1 reps, # 1 1/2 holds

c. expand bands

Tommorrow is another anerobic day :) . Leg work.

I am not going to go full blast in my workouts for a while. I am taking it slow, that is my motto.

Did a lot of stretching afterwords.

Adios

Saturday

Excellent Workout.

Leg and Ab work today

Singles on 1, 1 1/2, 2 COC

Pinch 4 10's on rebounder

Sledge hammer movements

Tommorrow will be running or Powerwalking

Sunday

-Powerwalked w/Dog and 5 lb DBs - 20 min

-Run 30 min

-Ab work 10 min

-Stretch 15 min

- Quick singles on 1, 1 1/2, 2 COC

- Green Expand bands

Thats it....

You don't want go swimming in the ocean in Fairbanks that is for sure. That is the definition of cold

haha it would be but we are landlocked in the middle of alaska, I do (attempt to) go swimming in the lakes in the summer though.

haha it would be but we are landlocked in the middle of alaska, I do (attempt to) go swimming in the lakes in the summer though.

whoops. That shows how much I know about geography