Year 2. Strongman And Grip

Chris Mathison

I feel much better already.. I seemed to have recovered quick. I went out into the garage pissed from todays workout and wanted to finally get my coc#3 no set video for the gripboard stats and records section. Felt good so I played with the blob a bit and glob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAVI54U7HA

That looked way too easy for you! Nice job Chris!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris Mathison

• chris klavetter

• Matt Brouse

• IROC-Z

I feel much better already.. I seemed to have recovered quick. I went out into the garage pissed from todays workout and wanted to finally get my coc#3 no set video for the gripboard stats and records section. Felt good so I played with the blob a bit and glob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAVI54U7HA

That looked way too easy for you! Nice job Chris!

TY.

Zemke came over today and after we made love for an hour we got a workout in.

Axle deads DO and over-under

just went up to 435 pulling singles and doubles

330-340 stone

x5 singles

Front squat

225x3x5

10/18

back machines

pullups

Barbell shrugs

225x10

315x8

405x5

495x1

hands gave.. straps

495x3x5

palms facing pull ups

x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x5

Lat pulldowns wide

210x3x10

Underhand

135x3x8

pullovers

90x3x12

my lower back is still a knotted and overtrained mess. Stones yesterday didnt help. Need to recovery quick if I want to pull big on the 8th.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Some damn solid lifting Chris! Nice job on the TNS #3 by the way. Still one of my favorite methods of closing them.

Some damn solid lifting Chris! Nice job on the TNS #3 by the way. Still one of my favorite methods of closing them.

Thanks Ben. I havent given up on bending but I keep putting a red through my leather and they look like swiss cheese. If I ever get off my ass Ill order some wraps or get some from those lady stores that sell leather.

Thanks Ben. I havent given up on bending but I keep putting a red through my leather and they look like swiss cheese. If I ever get off my ass Ill order some wraps or get some from those lady stores that sell leather.

Good to hear about the bending! You'll roar through a lot of big milestone bends in no time with your type of strength. I would NOT recommend buying leather from Michael's or any other craft store. Just not solid enough for guys that can bend big steel. FBBC wraps are good quality! Saw a few pairs at the BBB4 and meant to buy some.

10/18

back machines

pullups

Barbell shrugs

225x10

315x8

405x5

495x1

hands gave.. straps

495x3x5

palms facing pull ups

x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x5

Lat pulldowns wide

210x3x10

Underhand

135x3x8

pullovers

90x3x12

my lower back is still a knotted and overtrained mess. Stones yesterday didnt help. Need to recovery quick if I want to pull big on the 8th.

495, very good

is that what you expected?

how much do you think u could work up to if u trained it

What did Zemke do while you worked out?

took notes.

And when we were done with our workout we had a nice dinner for two. We sat at the smallest table I've ever seen and were surrounded by females. I'm pretty sure everyone in the restaurant thought we were gay.

10/18

back machines

pullups

Barbell shrugs

225x10

315x8

405x5

495x1

hands gave.. straps

495x3x5

palms facing pull ups

x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x5

Lat pulldowns wide

210x3x10

Underhand

135x3x8

pullovers

90x3x12

495, very good

is that what you expected?

how much do you think u could work up to if u trained it

Ya, thats about what I expected. I would like to see what I could do if I trained for it but I dont want to set a number right now.

10/19

5 min treadmill

shoulder band warmup

8"Log jerk from rack

90x8

160x5

210x3

240x8

250x5

250x4

DE Bench

185x8x2 40 -sec rest

Overhead log tricep extension

90x2x8

blue band overhead

x1 min

pressed vertical

x1 min

Overall work capacity has to come up. Ive spent too long doing 1-3reps. You will see alot of PR's because im starting to track 1-8rm on most lifts but as time passes they should thin out and will be true PR's

10/20 ME Lower

Warmup

800m concept 2 @ 5

dyn. hip stretches

Back Squat

135x5

225x5

315x5

belt

405x3

455x2

495x1 (grinder, whatever)

Pause squats

415x3x3

Barbell calf raise

415x3x5

Hanging leg raises

3x10

Thats it. My lower back is still mincemeat. Last ME lower then back to strongman and i'm relieved. Honesty I could care less what I total on the 8th I just want to get back to the training I love. Im tired of tip toe'ing because of this meet. Going to do some goal setting for '09 soon and ill post it on the youtube machine.

Edited by Chris Mathison

10/21

warmup

5min treadmill

shoulder bands

Strict Barbell overhead

95x2x8

135x2x8

185x9

190x3x8

Close grip floor press

190x8

210x8

230x8

Hoist pressdown supersetted with band pressdowns

12 each x 3 rounds

25# kettlebell swings w/shoulder retraction at the top

20each hand x 2 rounds

TYWL

x10 each

Edited by Chris Mathison

10/22

Warmup

ellipsicle

Power clean

135x3

155x3

175x3

185x1

225x2x1

Db Snatch each hand

80x3

100x2

120x1 (PR left I think)

130x1 Righty

DB Row

135x3x12

Hammer strength back row thingy

315x3x12

Sushi..

Edited by Chris Mathison

10/23

800m concept 2 @ 5

dyn. hip stretches

De squat low box

135x3

185x3

225x3

260x3x8 - 40 sec rest

Box jump into db clean

30#x3x5

Box jump set of 3 - roughly 3ft/3.5ft/4ft

x10 - 40 sec rest

bi's - whatever

Concept II is hawt.

that it is.

10/24

Warmup

500m concept 2 @ 5

lat pulldowns

shoulders

Flat Bench

135x10

225x8

275x3

315x2x4 (nice.. easy 2 sets of 4)

Hammer strength bench thing

Lat pulldowns

165x3x12

DB Rows

140x3x12

hour swimming

Im trying to work up with the dumbbell rows it actually fried my grip last time and this time. Kicks the crap out of my back too which needs alot of work.

Im trying to work up with the dumbbell rows it actually fried my grip last time and this time. Kicks the crap out of my back too which needs alot of work.

Strap it up.

Strap it up.

no thanks.. your silly.

Strap it up.

no thanks.. your silly.

So you let your weakest link (relative, here) control the progress of stronger one? You're an idiot.

Silly.

Strap it up.

no thanks.. your silly.

So you let your weakest link (relative, here) control the progress of stronger one? You're an idiot.

Silly.

im nowhere near my max, grip wise, on the DB rows. I am just working my way up 5lbs per week. I think I have the 150's x20 in me easily. Just working up weekly.. When I do hit a ceiling with either grip or back strength.. Ill adjust.. I might even hit a wall with back strength first. Maybe one day my body will catch up to my hands.

Edited by Chris Mathison

10/27

Warmup

800m concept 2 @ 6

Dyn. hip stretches

Frontsie squats

135x5

225x5

315x3

belt

365x1

405x1 - easy. could have had a 20lb Pr me thinks but backed off for reps

315x10

335x8

340x6

nice session on these. They are all true PR's because I never repped front squats past 5. Wussbone kinda came out on the 340x6.. should have been 8. This also builds alot of confidence about pulling big on the 8th. A frontsquat PR always means im going to pull big soon and vice versa.. Its like clockwork for me. Previous FS pr was 405 for a grinder.. this one was easy and deep.

Hamstring curls

156x3x8

Single leg RDL

45x8 each

135x8 each

core and stretching.

On the single leg RDL's when I went righty I leaned outward on my foot alot. I couldn't keep my foot flat when driving back up.. I would press hard on the outside of my foot. wasnt so bad lefty but right was bad.. any thoughts?

On the single leg RDL's when I went righty I leaned outward on my foot alot. I couldn't keep my foot flat when driving back up.. I would press hard on the outside of my foot. wasnt so bad lefty but right was bad.. any thoughts?

Is it a balance problem? What hand are you reaching with, same or opposite?

barbell..

barbell..

Oh... I say balance, so just keep working on it and you'll probably get better. Make sure your hips aren't shifting real far one way or the other.