Fantastic Cert Video

bencrush

Ah hell. Another day of barely squeaking by and a questionable outcome...sounds like another cert elsewhere on the board, and it serves me right for naysaying I guess, haha!

This one's going to have to be judged yes or no by John Beatty himself. I'm putting up the video on Google Videos, or trying to, but I don't think John has any problem with anyone else seeing the video before he does. Ultimately he's the one with the decision-making powers anyway. It's going to be a close call. I had Travis Mickelberry over to witness and my wife ran the video camera. Thanks to both of them! Missed my first attempt by 1/4" and then got even more riled up for the 2nd attempt about 20-30 minutes later. Got better hydrated for the 2nd attempt too and I think that helped my final crush strength a bit. I obviously didn't have any trouble getting it to 90. It was just the last 1/4" that kicked my ass. Turns out that's probably because the bend was about 7/16" offcenter. :angry: I got pretty pissed at the end and had a bit of a tantrum. Oh well.

Measuring it offcenter, it seems to be at or slightly under 2" in my opinion. Of course I'm a little biased. Even my witness wasn't really quite sure what angle of tilt was allowed so he couldn't say for sure. Without measuring it offcenter the final measurement on the 2nd Fantastic was 2 and 1/16". Very, very close like I said.

An hour or so later, after calibrating about 20 grippers, I hammered through a Mag with the modified DU. 9 seconds to 52 degrees. Definitely could have gone shorter. A DU PR, not a bad day after all! :cool Was going to do a Shiny with the modified DU but decided it wasn't really that much of a challenge and to shelve the attempts at burning out my CNS permanently.

I didn't attempt the Psycho today either. Sorry Mike! I figured if I wasn't even able to definitively put away the Fantastic it wasn't very feasible to try the Psycho afterwards. I am proud of getting both attempts that close though, especially in the same day. Surprised that I didn't put one of them UNDER 2", but all's well.

Win, lose, or draw...I'm entirely comfortable with Beatty's decision. I know he won't give me the yes if there is any question about the legitimacy of the final measurement, or of any part of the process. That's how it should be with a cert process. If I found out later that I hadn't followed a step of his process that he had written out in the rules section, then I'd ask to be taken off the cert list. Easy enough.

I'm ready to move on to the longer bends. Won't be posting my progress nearly as much, because it's going to be slow going. But I think I'll eventually work my way up to some good bends and eventually the goal is KOAB and beyond. I also have 10 MOABs. 1 went in the box that is getting progressively heavier-the one I'm sending to Eric, 1 got cheatkinked to 2.5" and will be my permanent ISO bar, and the other 8 will be sitting there in their tidy box waiting for the day when they might see some action.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! Even if I failed yet again on this cert attempt it wasn't for nothing. I got stronger on the short stuff and had a good time with it. Now it's time to get back on the gripper train, get on the 7" bending kick again, and take things slow and relaxed. I've got a lot of time and want to keep all my bodyparts healthy.

Awesome stuff Ben I hope for the best for you on the cert and if not like you said it has made you stronger for sure!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Video is still processing on Google Videos...I may end up having to leave the house before it completes. Not that many are waiting with baited breath for the outcome, lol. I think that's just me and a few other guys. 1st on the list has a certain ring to it. That ring is tempered with the knowledge that at least 2 guys have bent this or a harder equivalent before me. And probably a 3rd as well. Salute guys! Hell, even if I don't get my name on the list, I have the knowledge that I've done it once before...and once in a lifetime is good enough for me.

Ben, I'm definitely awaiting this with baited breath dude :D I can't wait to see this!!! It's an amazing accomplishment to get it that far to say the least, so be proud either way the decision goes. Who 3 have done a equal or harder equivalent? I can only really think of one who's done something both that short and that strong, unless I haven't heard of/am forgetting things.

Ok Ben, here goes my completely honest opinion, your camera is HORRIBLE!!! :laugh But in all honesty, it looked tilted too far .... to the left ... meaning .... in my opinion it was probbaly a lot more under 2" then you portrayed it as so if it were up to me that's a definite pass. Looked good to me buddy, but the crappyness of your camera makes it hard to see the ruler so it'll probably be a tough final decision. But like you said, John will do this honestly, unbiased, and fair, and whatever that comes out as, is for the best.

That was some Great Bending Ben!!!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

When I look at it it came into focus a few times it looked like you had it to me when you even the offset.Get a better ruler the blue and the black do you no justice.But again superb job pass or not you have it covered!!!!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Super strong bend, i dont know how your hands can take that short stuff. I hope its a positive result for you, if it isn't i've no doubt seeing that video that you'll get a good cert done with a positive result very soon after this one.

All the best,

Pete

I have to be honest Ben, it looks good to me. BUT, if you want aren't happy with it then do it over again. 2 questionable calls, 3rd time is a charm so next time you'll SLAUGHTER IT and take it to 1 3/4" ;)

I have to be honest Ben, it looks good to me. BUT, if you want aren't happy with it then do it over again. 2 questionable calls, 3rd time is a charm so next time you'll SLAUGHTER IT and take it to 1 3/4" ;)

Ben already said in Chad's thread if this was turned down he would give up and return to the long stuff to give the KOAB a shot ...... unless he changes his mind :D

Ben already said in Chad's thread if this was turned down he would give up and return to the long stuff to give the KOAB a shot ...... unless he changes his mind :D

Ah, I missed that. Still, I would hate if he wussed out when he has a legitamte chance of getting one of these suckers to sub 2" and having the bend be UNQUESTIONABLE ;)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Well done Ben :rock Now your next goal must be bending it like the insane :D (in 47 seconds)!

i tihnk its interesting that the bar stops a literral hairline on over or under 2 inches exactly on your fantastic attmepts. Its amazing almost like a mental block. Excellent bend i really enjoyed your intensity its really incredible to bend that bar at 4 inchs. I believe that it was on or under 2 inches when measured properly accounting for it being offcentered

Awesome Ben!!!!! I doubt John will have too hard of a time with this. Congrats :rock:D

Great work regardless of the outcome!!!! :rock

yep it looks done. No doubt about it in my mind. Very nicely done Ben. I liked this one, much passion behind this bend. And what happened at 5:10? :laugh

Great job!!!!!!!! I know I'm saying the same thing everyone else already has but it looks good to me.

Thanks again guys!!! Feeling it today. Believe me, the first time I bent a Fantastic in one session it was painful the next day. Bending 2 of them (almost on the first) is freaking indescribable the way it's making me feel today.

Can't believe I'm just now seeing this! Great work Ben! :rock:rock:rock

Can't believe I'm just now seeing this! Great work Ben! :rock:rock:rock

Thanks! Looks like I'll find out today if it's a GO or a NO. I even called John at home last night...it's a sickness, lol. :D

Wow!!! I knew you could do it but I still can't fathom bending that short of a piece of steel.

Great job!!

Tim