Hello

zemkebs

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon Zemke and I just joined the gripboard. I'm 6'7" tall and weigh about 290. My previous lifting experiences have been in highschool and college athletics. I just started training for amatuer strongman competitions and have gotten into grip training. I was able to close the #2 COC a week after my first try, and closed the #2.5 for the first time today. I would like to be able to close the #3 someday. I am looking to learn different ways of training supporting and pinch grip strength.

WOW! you get 2 introduction threads.. ill post your 2.5 close up soon. Its not an outlandish claim because I have it on video.. ill get it done soon Brandon. He really is 6'7" and has alot of potential in his hands.. Maybe pass me up one day.. probably not though because ill never slow down enough for that to happen.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Best wishes to you Brandon. It's nice to see somebody else from my home state on the Gripboard!

big guy brandon,

no doubt, the coc 3 is not a really hard goal for you :D

you are too strong!

Thats pretty crazy, what are your best strongman lifts so far? And you should try out bending too if you have never done it. I wish they would bring that back into strongman comps.

Welcome and GOOD LUCK! :rock :rock :rock

Welcome!!! You will soon be addicted!!! :D

The vid made it. 2 weeks of gripper training and you got the 2.5.. nice job. 2.5

Edited by Chris Mathison

I would also like to know your strongman lifts, you have some great potential thats for sure. How big are your hands?-First crease of wrist to top of middle finger, guessing 8.5+-

Welcome aboard and strong close :rock

Thats pretty crazy, what are your best strongman lifts so far? And you should try out bending too if you have never done it. I wish they would bring that back into strongman comps.

I just started training a few weeks ago and haven't even tried some of the events. I was able to lift a 245 lb stone and missed a 300lb, and haven't done it again since. I've done a 280 lb farmer's for about 20-25 feet, I think I can improve that pretty easily. Here are my pr's in the weight room: deadlift 500, bench 330, squat 450, power clean 290. I have never tried bending but I'm sure it would be fun.

I would also like to know your strongman lifts, you have some great potential thats for sure. How big are your hands?-First crease of wrist to top of middle finger, guessing 8.5+-

By my measurement, my hands are just a shade above 8.5 inches.

Last year I did a strongman contest that had a bending event.. lots of fun. First was 1/2" 4' stock.. then 3/4" 4'.. nobody bent the 3/4. I got second closest.

By my measurement, my hands are just a shade above 8.5 inches.

got me beat. by a lil. I forgot to mention that closing the 2.5 earned Brandon the right to have my spare #3 accompany him everywhere until he closes it. The clock is ticking little guy..

Edited by Chris Mathison

Last year I did a strongman contest that had a bending event.. lots of fun. First was 1/2" 4' stock.. then 3/4" 4'.. nobody bent the 3/4. I got second closest.

1/2" to 3/4", that's quite a jump isn't it? Where was this comp? Hell I would go enter one like that just to win one event at least, hehehe.

I just started training a few weeks ago and haven't even tried some of the events. I was able to lift a 245 lb stone and missed a 300lb, and haven't done it again since. I've done a 280 lb farmer's for about 20-25 feet, I think I can improve that pretty easily. Here are my pr's in the weight room: deadlift 500, bench 330, squat 450, power clean 290. I have never tried bending but I'm sure it would be fun.

245 stone ain't bad. I need to make another one, I can shoulder my 200 for reps now I guess I should make a 250. Too bad there isn't a simple way to add weight to those things, just big jumps in size and weight. Have you tried a thickbar deadlift or continential clean yet?

And you gotta try some bending, have you seen any of the old bending contests?

you gotta love it.

1/2" to 3/4", that's quite a jump isn't it? Where was this comp? Hell I would go enter one like that just to win one event at least, hehehe.

245 stone ain't bad. I need to make another one, I can shoulder my 200 for reps now I guess I should make a 250. Too bad there isn't a simple way to add weight to those things, just big jumps in size and weight. Have you tried a thickbar deadlift or continential clean yet?

And you gotta try some bending, have you seen any of the old bending contests?

you gotta love it.

Yeah, I've gotten 250 overhead with a 2" axle. I''ve done 7 reps at 420 on the same axle using an over/under grip.

Bad ass man. I really want to get a 2". I don't really know what the standards are for those lifts, but at least I got one person I can compare them to now. Is there a strongman specific forum where they talk about this stuff I could learn more about it?

Do you feel those lifts were limited by your grip because of the bar size or overall strength? I am guessing grip if you can power clean more. Did you do the first pull DO or mixed grip and switch when you have it wresting on your stomach? I have seen some people do that and it should help if you can mixed grip deadlift 420 with the same bar for reps.

Also have you ever seen anyone press and atlas stone? I have seen allot of other odd rocks and things but never an atlas stone, I think it would pose an interesting balance and hand strength challenge. Mine is still too heavy for me to try that, I am afraid to push press it or something then loose it.

Also have you ever seen anyone press and atlas stone? I have seen allot of other odd rocks and things but never an atlas stone, I think it would pose an interesting balance and hand strength challenge. Mine is still too heavy for me to try that, I am afraid to push press it or something then loose it.

Ive pressed a 180lb round stone overhead and its fun. Its not as bad as you think because if its gonna go over your body knows and you will get outta the way FAST! Gotta find that old picture with the stone overhead.

P.S. Everyone should know that Brandon still wears shoes with pumps in them.. Yup. like 80's style LA Gear pumps!! I wonder If he pumps them up for overhead work??

impressive power clean and lifts, how long you been training? Did you train mostly olympic lifting or power lifting, or where you just some athlete of some sort and now getting into strongman?

Edited by shizen

impressive power clean and lifts, how long you been training? Did you train mostly olympic lifting or power lifting, or where you just some athlete of some sort and now getting into strongman?

I've been training since I was a freshman in highschool so I guess that's about 7 years now. My training has always been for sports until very recently when I started training for strongman. I've been power cleaning ever since I started lifting, haven't done a lot of snatching. I just started deadlifting again.