Grip Contest In Minnesota...maybe

Matt Brouse

Alright folks, I'm thinking of putting on a Grip Contest up here in Minnesota. I think there is strong enough regional interest, but I would like to see if there would be anybody from abroad interested...?

I would also like, regardless of your intentions to compete, some input on the events and such. Especially for more experienced promoters.

Nothing is set in stone right now, I'm still trying to determine if this will be doable. These events (and this whole thing) are tentative right now. But I want some of the usual events and some we don't see to often.

Initial event ideas:

Grippers: Maybe with the MM set, keep it old school. Heaviest gripper closed wins.

Rolling Thunder: Combined weight of best pull with each hand for your score.

Stacker Lift (Goerner Lift): Not yet clear on the rules for this one...probably would be just one hand though.

2" Vertical Bar Lift: Combined weight of best pull with each hand for your score, again.

Two Hand Pinch: 16.5" Crossbar and all that...

Bonus Event: This will either be a cash buy in, or for a hefty sponsor prize (should that work out). If the ladder is the case, and I can arrange the sponsor I would like and the event I would like, then this event will be no joke.

Please, if I can get this contest going, I would like it to be as legit as possible. Critique and help me out.

Thank you.

Edited by Matt Brouse

If I am free for the date, I'd come out and bring the standardized equipment if you wanted me to.

Matt,

I'm originally from East Grand Forks and my mother lives in the Bemidji area, so I'd like to go depending on the time of year.

I worked in the Crystal Sugar factory for a couple of years lifting 100 lb. bags before I went back to UND to finish my undergrad degree.

I'd suggest a 2 & 1/2" or 3" thick bar DB event in place of the Stacker Lift.

How about having the "Bonus Event" outside in February? ;)

Edited by odin

Well, I am trying avoid too many events that would make it seem biased for myself (i.e. 3" bar), should I decide to compete in it (I take personal pride in the fact that this has proven difficult).

I am also trying to fit in some events that aren't typically seen these days. The last I saw a Stacker was in like 04 or so...

I'd also like the Two Hand Pinch to be a thin pinch...unless that seems silly?

Now, as for the "Bonus Event" my original idea is out of the window as Showlarson sold off his Millenium Dumbbell some time ago. My idea was that anyone who could lift would get a serious prize from a sponsor. So much for that...

Sounds like a bunch of fun. Glad to see no bending :)

Don't laugh, this contest has my attention for that reason, and I live in California. I say this right after I have taken a couple of Ibuprofen for elbow pain. I have to accept I will never be a bender.

Consider taking a page from the Brits and have the One Hand Lift instead of the Stacker. I am not prejudiced towards it, as I came in last in the particular lift (in the 07 Brits); I thought it was a great Grip Contest lift and would like to see it more often.

He's not laughing, as a strongman (as are most of the "grip guys" in the area) bending is not fun. Imagine doing that, then pressing, bench pressing, farmers, squating, stones...ow. Just ow.

One hand lift as in with a barbell? How do you mean?

Jedd, I would love to have you out bro!

Yes, I am posting this at 3:12am...but I had an idea for a venue. A potentially great idea...

I'll keep posted. :rock

One hand lift as in with a barbell? How do you mean?

It is a David Horne triangular handle attached to chains (no limit on how high or how low you pull from) attached to a barbell and the lift is where both ends of the barbell rise two inches above the ground. There would be lots of talk of it under the 2007 British Grips thread, maybe including links to photos (last post early July 2007). I think post #330 has S Gardener pulling the winning lift, if the video still works.

Hmmm, post #330 shows Gardener lifting #330 kgs, how about that for Cosmic Coincidences?

We have this handle also, Matt.

Depending on the time of year, I'd be interested, I'm changing jobs soon & will be having more weekends free. Spring is best for me, I plan to do contests in June, July, Aug & Oct, plus vacation in July/Aug, so summer is full for me. You'll probably do better if you want to try to pull Strongman in if you do early spring or late fall to miss the main Strongman season. That's part of why I do the BBB in Oct.

Depending on the time of year, I'd be interested, I'm changing jobs soon & will be having more weekends free. Spring is best for me, I plan to do contests in June, July, Aug & Oct, plus vacation in July/Aug, so summer is full for me. You'll probably do better if you want to try to pull Strongman in if you do early spring or late fall to miss the main Strongman season. That's part of why I do the BBB in Oct.

Yeah, I am thinking Feb or March. I'd love to have you out John. Wanted Feb 8th, but there is a contest going on then...of course it is across the country as I recall. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the links guys, I actually looked it up yesterday. It might be fun (and old school) to di it straight up on a barbell. This would make it harder for me I think.

UPDATES!!! "Grab it and Squeeze!"

Okay, here are the events I want for sure:

Grippers

2" Vbar

2 Hand Pinch

1 Hand Deadlift (barbell) - no hook

Here are the one's I am debating:

Hub Lift - Claw Style

PDA Inch Trainer

2" Handle Farmer Holds for time ~205lbs.

Let me know what you guys think! I'd like to have 5 or 6 events to make it worthwhile for the competitors.

I have 2 sponsors onboard with several more pending. Hoping to have some cool prizes.

Looking good Matt. I think the hub and farmers hold would be great. you may want to up the weight on the farmers a little. i think someone recommend raising the implements up?

I would compete, 100% certain. :rock

I'm in Minneapolis, so if you needed help with anything leading up to the contest, I'm available.

I've never competed, but I also like the fact that there is no bending. I'm not very conditioned and bending anything absolutely ruins me for anything else. If you added bending, I'd like to see Reverse only. Just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much more than that having never been in a contest ;)

Ryan, I might go as much as 225 but on the thicker handles holds can be rough. Might have to have some of the local guys test it...

Cannon, send me a PM with your email and real name and such, and I can keep you updated there as we get closer. :rock

I like these events ! Where in MN are you considering ? I'd hope to be able to make the drive.

.. neilkaz ..

neilkaz, it will be near the Twin Cities, maybe one of the burbs. I am actually hoping for a venue in the southwest end of things, too, which you could just roll on the highway into...not for sure though.

UPDATES! Here are the few things I know for certain at this point, it ain't much but it's early.

Contest Name: Grab it and Squeze!

Logo: The board won't let me upload it, so...the very first one in this thread:

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showth...;highlight=logo

EVENTS:

Grippers - Parallel set, non-calibrated

Hub Lift - One Hand

2" Vbar - Combined weight of right and left hand

Two Hand Pinch - Hopefully the Euro pinch apparatus, we'll see...

2" Handle Farmer Hold - either 205 or 225, probably non-calibrated

Grip Toys for Play-time afterward:

8 and 12lb. Bomb, PDA Inch Trainer, sledges, vbars, Rolling Thunders, thick bars/dbs, cards, phonebooks, hopefully and Inch DB or two, etc...

Two sponsors down. Still working on the entry fee and whatnot...

Edited by Matt Brouse

Are novices invited? I wouldn't mind seeing a different part of the country and I've been wondering what to do with my vacation next year. I only know for sure that late July through August are out because the track here in Saratoga is open and we get very busy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few guys around here who probably would want to make the trip...let me know if you get a date.

I'd love to make it out. I wouldn't be able to make a final yes or no until a date and locale is set of course but I'd do what I can. I too like that there is no bending :) Not that I have anything against it but I wouldn't want to wait for my thumbs to heal again from max bending before Woodall's contest.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I will really start getting going on trying to put this on after Strongman Nationals in November. Thanks for the interest boys.

• 2 months later...

I am in Minnesota (Wright County area). I am curious if you have any more grip contests coming up in Minnesota anytime soon. Kyle

• 7 months later...

Matt, your like a Santa Claus that decides to sit christmas eve out. A contest in my own backyard and it seems to have fell through. Still feel like getting this going? I can help with equipment or whatever.