What To Look For In A Kettlebell?

bdckr

I was thinking of trying something new and picking up a kettlebell to try them out. These guys sell locally through crossfit Toronto, so I should be able to avoid expensive shipping costs and get a chance to check out the quality of the KBs.

Any advice from experienced guys about what to look for in a KB? For example, does the finish matter (I'm thinking of starting with the 36 lb size, and there's a matte finish option for the 36 lber only)?

Is there any value in spending an extra $60 for these KBs?

The agatsu guys are good guys. I have had some dealings with them and seem like gerat guys with nice stuff. I wouldn't worry about the finish that much. Don't spend the exstra $.

Based on the pictures those first kettlebells look just fine. I have a 16kg and 24kg kettlebell, both of which get lots and lots of use. You'll probably find after a few months that you'll want to move up to a higher weight for some exercises, but I still use the 16kg for warming up and doing some higher volume work too.

I don't know what your lifting history is like, but I don't consider myself a big guy (91kg/200lb) and I can throw around a 16kg/36lb kettlebell like it's nothing (and that's even with my piss poor technique making it harder for me). I'd definately recommend going heavier if you've ever lifted even moderately heavy weights before.

I don't think the finish really matters (I have matte), just make sure you use chalk.

Edited by chop163

The weight of the kettlebell depends on your goal, if you are going for such exercises as buttom up presses, buttom up cleans, some sort of wrist work, buttom up snatches, juggling, may be long sets for endurance, may be hack-squats etc, then 16kg should be the right way, however, if you are going to do swings, cleans, jerks etc and wont go for a long sets, then probably 24kg kettlebell would be the right choice for a guy familiar with a weight training...

I actually do all my bottoms up work with my 24kg, since I'm not trying to do long sets for that. I've never tried bottoms up snatches though...the ceiling is too low for that where I do everything, and that just sounds downright dangerous to try with a 24.

I'm even smaller, about 155-159 lbs. I haven't entirely decided on my goals -- was just looking at adding something to keep things interesting.

It sounds like I should probably start with the 36 lber, and if I stick with it, move up to the next size.

I do have some experience with weightlifting, but none with O-lifting, so it's probably safer to start playing around with the 36 lber.

bdckr,

sure, start with 36lber, not a heavy weight with 10+ reps per set will help you to build the right technique and will keep away from the injury possibility...

have a fun...

Any moderately strong guy can handle a 24kg/56lb bell after a few weeks. I bought two 16kg/36lb bells first and wish I had started with at least the 44lbers. Or the 56lbers I have now. I'd trade my 36lbers for a single 72lb bell in a heartbeat.

I actually do all my bottoms up work with my 24kg, since I'm not trying to do long sets for that. I've never tried bottoms up snatches though...the ceiling is too low for that where I do everything, and that just sounds downright dangerous to try with a 24.

I do bottoms up snatches with my 32 all the time. It is a awsome movment! I like it a lot!

I agree if you weight train and have a good strength base a 24 is a good weight. I have a 16, 24, and 32. I use them all.

Edited by nickr104

"what to look for in a KB" would also include whether proper wrist alignment can be had while holding the KB overhead in the fixed position, as in the end of a snatch, press, etc. Some KB designs do not promote optimal/biomechanical alignment here, and force the wrist back a bit. Also, the handles should be relatively rounded for performance, not squarish like grabbing a cell phone. Now if only someone would make a rotating KB handle ... :o)

I was thinking of trying something new and picking up a kettlebell to try them out. These guys sell locally through crossfit Toronto, so I should be able to avoid expensive shipping costs and get a chance to check out the quality of the KBs.

Any advice from experienced guys about what to look for in a KB? For example, does the finish matter (I'm thinking of starting with the 36 lb size, and there's a matte finish option for the 36 lber only)?

Is there any value in spending an extra $60 for these KBs?

I've dealt with Peter at superherostrength... he has offered to go through different movements with you if you haven't had much experience with them. I believe he is a certified kettlebell instructor as well. Very nice guy, I didn't know about Agatsu and thanks for that info.

I'm not terribly strong, but I like the 16k kettlebell for warm ups when I lift in my apartment. It really gets the blood flowing.

I started with a 20k Power Max kettlebell from Gill Athletics. If I could only have one size, that's what I'd pick. For learning the basics, it was a bit much at times. However, the lighter bells do make it easier to cheat with the upper body instead of using the hips to move the weight like you are supposed to.

The 24k is too heavy to warm up with or do extended workouts on unless you're already pretty strong.

The handle shape and smoothness is important.

If you get a rough/grainy handle on your KB you will tear up your hands with anykind of rep work.

I prefer the KB's that dragondoor sells.They are a quality KB.

"what to look for in a KB" would also include whether proper wrist alignment can be had while holding the KB overhead in the fixed position, as in the end of a snatch, press, etc. Some KB designs do not promote optimal/biomechanical alignment here, and force the wrist back a bit. Also, the handles should be relatively rounded for performance, not squarish like grabbing a cell phone. Now if only someone would make a rotating KB handle ... :o)

Someone does I've seen them on atomic athletics site don't rember the brand though they are kinda of cool looking.

By the way as far as what to look for. The dragon doors are really nice but if your just starting out don't want to drop a bunch of cash on something your not sure of yet there are alot of ones out there that work fine for less money. If you want quality than go with the DD. But if you want to get started and not sure if it's for you the powermax aren't bad I have a 55#er and a loadable from Atomic I like them both I'd like to get a couple DD's just don't have the extra funds right now and when I'm done using mine and I ask my muscles which KB's I was using they don't know the difference :D .

Thanks everyone for the info.

The PowerMax ones and the Power Strength look to be the cheapest, but shipping to Canada kills the deal.

I just watched Nick's 32 kg bottoms up pressing, and I know we all have different ideas about what counts as "moderately strong" or having a "good strength base" :laugh

• 2 months later...

An update for anyone looking to buy KBs in Canada, especially in the Toronto area:

Because of a bunch of things coming up (and the hassle of downtown Toronto traffic), I never got around to buying the Agatus bells from Crossfit. With a tip from a a gripboard member, I contacted a guy who sells out of his house and also on eBay. Pickup not only saved on shipping, but he gave a cash discount, too. I got a 16kg and 20kg kb. Friendly guy, got both bells for $110 cash.

Unfortunately, he doesn't carry any heavier than 20kg. As people have said, the 16kg is good for higher rep stuff and warmups, the 20kg is slightly challenging, but I think I should be ready for a 24kg soon. Hopefully I can convince the guy to start carrying the heavier bells.

Man, that's a good deal. I just got another 16kg Powermax kettlebell. It was like $80 delivered. With those prices you might consider doubles work.

anyone in the uk tried these, KBs, about a month ago they were about £10 cheaper, they dont look great but they are cheap. they have been getting through their stock pretty quickly in the last couple of months so some people must like them

sorry for hijacking your thread :whistel

Glad they worked out man. Sounds likes they're good from the message too. I hope he carries 20+ soon too..just is going to kill on the shipping :P Hoping to get a KB or two soon.

I have 1 dragon door kettlebell and 4 agatsu kettlebells and 3 superherostrength kettlebells and agatsu is the best price and make great kettlebell's