Bbb Results

John Beatty

The BBB II was well worth the trip. The event, the people, and the level of competition was the best you could hope for. Thank you to all who made the trip and made the competition a sucess. I am saving my pennies for nect time.

-Sean

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• John Beatty

• Jedd Johnson

• nickr104

Good work by Franky making the trip and joining the short list of those making their way across the big pond (both ways) - and for placing well as well :D

Edited by mobsterone

This contest was amazing.

It was so nice to finally meet so many guys from the board.

What a great contest that was.

I had an awesome time talking to all the guys I only knew from the GB before.

The scale weight hold was a killer event, but since I like endurance events it went pretty well for me.

But no way to use the thumb afterwards and doing the blobs. :whacked

Thanks to John Beatty for such a great contest, it definately was worth the long trip, especially with the 5th place. :tongue

Now I have a lot of stuff (big sword, 20lbs or heavier thick vbar) and I have no clue how to get that home. :mosher

Now I'm a Gregs house and guess what we did yesterday:

Training grippers, blobs and thick bar.

Now I'm REALLY WORN OUT.

Soon we'll make a trip to Chicago.

By reading those results carefuly, my very first thought is exactly the same as Mat Helmer's : Josh Dale got KILLED by the scale thing! He seemed to place very well in everything else!!! Darn!! What happened there? What kind of event is that? I don't even know what it consists of. :(

I won't begin to speak for Josh but he and I talked about weather to do the scale weights with the left hand to save the right for everything else - I decided to go right hand but I think he did decide to do scale weights left handed - which with 20-20 hindsight, may have been a mistake. He may have done better on the Bomb and Blobs this way but there's really no way to know if he might not have done just as well either way. He perhaps made a mistake in strategy but you have to do what seems best for you at the time, if it had worked out different, we'd all be kicking ourselves for not doing the same thing. He's one super strong son of a gun either way.

Only critique I can say about the contest is that next time we gotta keep that Alaskan fool Sean Prince out of it. He picked on me the whole time we ate continental breakfast the morning after the show.

Lots of people hit some sick feats after the show. Josh I mentioned already. Who else got 3-25's? PM me if you got on a list.

-Jedd-

By reading those results carefuly, my very first thought is exactly the same as Mat Helmer's : Josh Dale got KILLED by the scale thing! He seemed to place very well in everything else!!! Darn!! What happened there? What kind of event is that? I don't even know what it consists of. :(

At the end of the contest I thought JAD had won. I told him that I was sure he won. He did awesome in every event. I forgot about the scale weight and didnt realize how much it hurt him. Josh is amazing and will be a contender in any contest he enters. He is a heck of a nice guy too. Thornton, Jedd, and Morton just didn't have any off event that hurt them. Franky and Chris Rice were also solid in every event.

Edited by gamidon

Only critique I can say about the contest is that next time we gotta keep that Alaskan fool Sean Prince out of it. He picked on me the whole time we ate continental breakfast the morning after the show.

Lots of people hit some sick feats after the show. Josh I mentioned already. Who else got 3-25's? PM me if you got on a list.

-Jedd-

Scott came real close to 3 25's. Didn't quite lock it out. IF he was fresh I bet he would of got them.

Edited by nickr104

The BBB2 contest was awesome :rock I finally got meet up with other people from the grip community.

the ride out to the contest and back with Jedd was an adventure in itself.

Everyone was helpful, encouraging and instructing others on technique. Not to mention figuring out what to try for your first attempt on each event.

Sean Prince also roasted me the morning after the contest.

Congrats to Big Dave Morton on winning the contest. Extremely nice guy and crazy gripper strength :rock

Can't wait until next year!

Here's a little more now that I'm not in a semi coma. Thanks to Diesel Crew & Thorsten Moser for kicking in even more goodies for the prize packages. Really great of you guys. I think one of the coolest things this year was everyone hitting the feats of strength after the show. At one point I was walking in carrying the food & Nick is outside the ship tossing 45 lb plates, I walk inside & there's Doc playing with the 290 lb stone, someone was levering the 20lb sledge. I missed a lot of the extra stuff while trying to get the results tallied, next year I'm setting up a chair next to the "fun" area so I can see some stuff. Everyone was great. A lot of laughter, even during the events, made the show more fun than anything I've done in a long time competitively. Guys helping each other on technique, setting up attempts, tips & such was great.

I just have trouble seeing how to top it next year! Guess I will start working on it now.

Speculation - Bending - 3 Insane Bastards next year.

The contest was amazing: amazing competitors, amazing prize packages, and amazing food. Hats off to John for pulling off such an event and to Diesel Crew and Thorston for additional prizes. Really enjoyed meeting everyone. Regarding the posts about my scaleweight screwup: the plan was to go lefty to save my thumb for bombs and blobs since they were right after the scale weight. It backfired to say the least...oh well, live and learn.

Some of the sic stuff I saw going on throughout the day...

-Morton ripping off 4 reps on my RB330 and was definetly good for more. He also levered my 20lb sledge AFTER the comp, kissed the head, and popped it right back up

-John Eaton doing sledge rotations...yeah plural...with a 14lb post maul. He also plate curled 2 25s sandwiched together. He did this three times and the only one we got on video was the last one (my fault the second attempt wasn't filmed), which wasn't as strict but the first two were freaky. He also came very close to levering my 20lber at full length. If he owned one he'd have it done in no time.

-Dave T. on vbar: he just grabs it and goes, doesn't even set his hand...crazy

-Cliff Rice going over a minute on the scale weights!!!!!!!!!!! AND breaking the WR on the Bomb lift!!!!!

-Gamidon also broke the bomb WR and looked to be good for A LOT more

-Doc was doing some type of swing with my 20lb sledge. I don't know what exactly he was doing; I'm sure he can explain, but I've never seen anyone handle a 20lb sledge with one hand, with that level of authority. You'd have thought he was just swinging a framing hammer.

-Ben stepping up and tying for first on Vbar considering the field

Plenty more but I'm out of time for now...

Edited by jad

BBB thoughts

Every contest ends up leaving an impression in my mind - this one left "fun".

People - overall, no doubt the strongest overall group I've ever seen at a grip contest. The "little" guys were real strong, the middle guys even stronger and the big guys were scarey strong (and that little - big thing wasn't just by body size). Everyone offering tips and ideas that in some cases may have helped someone beat them in the event. This is the way things were back when I was a bit younger, before strength sports got corrupted and strange.

People - friendly, helpful - even the people in the crowd were great, several of them looked like they wished they had signed up. I know a couple GB members wished they had but it was great that they came to watch and cheer everyone on. I'd bet money that next time they compete.

Fat Bastard Barbell Co - which IS John Beatty. John really missed his calling, he ought to cook for a living, the grub was even better than the contest. I think John set the most PRs of anyone there, which was great. I really liked the multiple contestants going at once as well - it kept things moving and made it really fun to watch. Watching three guys go after HUGE pieces of steel was exciting.

Only dissapointment of the day - I didn't get to try the Hercules Hold - I was really looking forward to it. Well, I guess I was dissappointed when big Dave beat me by 2 sec in the scale weights too, but getting beat by him seems to be kind of normal anymore. Darn guy just doesn't have a weakness. I gave it all I had, I figure if I held on another minute, he would have done a minute and one sec.

The after show. Anyone who left missed a whole lot of crazy strength feats. So much stuff going on it was impossible to catch it all. Morton and Eaton on sledges, Doc and Nick on stones, Doc on Sledge Indian Club work, Josh set 2 or 3 pinch PRs after maybe 8 hours of grip stuff, several Blob lifts, and a ton of others going at it on all kinds of stuff. Heck, just looking at John Eatons wrists and hands was entertaining - those things are huge. Sean Prince and I talked mountain climbing, real enjoyable.

This contest was kind of like a get together of old friends but still a contest setting, it just left that kind of feeling with me afterwards. A couple guys didn't really have a clue when they signed up but turned out to be very impressive. It just shows that there really are some crazy strong people out there you've never heard of before. Rick is 49 years old, didn't even know the rules for half this stuff, but was just so strong it didn't matter much in the end. It'll be fun to see how he does next time.

Chris

John really missed his calling, he ought to cook for a living, the grub was even better than the contest. I think John set the most PRs of anyone there, which was great. I really liked the multiple contestants going at once as well - it kept things moving and made it really fun to watch. Watching three guys go after HUGE pieces of steel was exciting.

Glad you liked the show & the food, Chris. Nice job whupping me, too.....

I think Rick wins the most PR's, as everything he did was a PR since he'd never done most of the stuff. I did have a great day, especially given my sad lack of training for the last few months. My list of PR's - grippers - within 2 playing cards of a real (not easy) #3. Bending - Grand, then Magnificent Bastard. Scale wt - a 8-10 sec over training best. Bomb - 20lb PR. Blobs - 42.5 - never done that in the medley. Vbar - 25 lb PR. I couldn't be happier.

I'd like to know what everyone's PR's were for the day - anyone?

-Jedd-

I know it was harsh but there was a point, Jedd is just one sick fool and needed a little heckling to share in John's Burden. I just feel sorry for John having to drive all the way home because of you crying so much that you were unable to drive at all. :cry

Great to meet you man, getting some footage today, and will spin it into a DVD soon enough. Take care man, look forward to our next meeting, finished Crow Killer yet?

-Sean

Chris thanks for he kind words.It was nice for a change to not be the oldest guy there.Geezers rock.John you are right about my PR's.Every event was a PR.The only thing I did prior to this contest was about a month worth of bending.The first couple of weeks were D.U.Ben Edwards talked me into D.O.I still don't have the form down but I learned alot at the contest.I have the coc grippers up to a #3 but haven't touched them in over a year.It was the closest I have come to closing a #3.I think I was about the thickness of a playing card away. I guess a little training for next year will go a long way.I had such a great time.Everyone was helpful and the stuff at the end was insane.John did we set a record for how fast the food disappeared?It was great stuff.Thanks again to everyone.

Edited by cabertosser

Almost closing the RB300 was a decent PR for me. The Big Bastard bend was a huge PR. Pulling 351 on the v-bar left handed was a PR, since I pulled a finger tendon last year. I switched to left hand, when my right tore a bit at 331.

Watching all the lifts after the Contest was amazing. I don't know how Doc and Nick had the enery to lift stones afterwards, but they were.

Chris's BBB2 PRs

Scale Weight - I got a pair to train with about a month before BBB2 - after several failures I finally got them off the ground one time about a week before the contest. So my time came as a real shock to me. Heck I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to lift them if they were like the pair I have.

My 164# Bomb lift was a PR.

Having that much fun was a PR too :rolleyes

Just out of curiosity, what size was the Bomb used for the competition and is that the only size for official competition?

By the way, it sounds as if it was a great contest and a great time.

Mike

Just out of curiosity, what size was the Bomb used for the competition and is that the only size for official competition?

By the way, it sounds as if it was a great contest and a great time.

Mike

Nevermind, I just checked the FBBC site. 8# Bomb.

Chris's BBB2 PRs

My 164# Bomb lift was a PR.

You forgot one small detail, Present Record holder!!! :cool

great job my friend!

The bending was the biggest PR performance for me by far. I had never finished off a Grand Bastard and in fact the day before the contest I was at the Post Office shipping a 50 pound hex to GoJu when I opened my car door and a woman came careening into the spot next to me and it hit my door, which shot the door back HARD onto my left forearm. It was numb and tingling the entire drive to Harrisonville to pick up Travis. But it recovered well enough to let me do a bit of grippers and bending. It's also my pimp hand for vbar so I'm glad it wasn't insanely gimped up either.

The vbar performance was a PR but only by a half pound. < < Considering it was in a contest setting and AFTER everything else I'll surely take it. My right hand was doing pretty well too and I stopped my last right hand warmup at 316. Warmed it up just in case my left was having some problems.

Huge PR on the Bomb for me too. The best I've done in the garage with good form is 142 pounds a week or so before the contest. Got 154 at the contest. And seeing the other monsters pull that weight easy was nice and humbling. :cool

I should have taken another attempt at the scale weight hold with my better hand (left) but decided to gamble and save my left for a big vbar pull. I had no idea it would drag my ranking down so much. But no worries at all from me. :D

Thanks again to John Beatty for a wonderful and unforgettable contest!!! :rock