First Impressions Of Stainless Fbbc

kerbjr

First of all service from FBBC was outstanding as always, Do not know how John gets it all done, but appreciate it greatly. I havnt bent anything over 6in for several months, so initially the 7in stainless felt alien in my hands. Talked my 6year old into getting the camera all fired up, mostly for motivation plus it gets him involved in the whole thing. Wrapped it up super tight and tried to fit it under my chin......Still felt all wrong....Went for it anyway, much to my surprise it kinked rather easily.." I thought this stuff was suppossed to be tuff?".....Ran well past 90 degrees....Still felt rather easy......It just kept on going and going and..............Whoa......What the heck, with about 1in to go it got kinda stuck.......took off the wraps and took 1 of them around both ends....Hit it with all I had and it moved slightly.....Put the tape to it and still had 1/8in to go.....Took 2-3 more hits to kill it off........Now I know what all the fuss is about......These things just wont hardly die...Gotta say the kink is nice and easy, but the last inch on these things is killer, I would say just a little easier than the 5.5 round though, but realize that everyone is different re which stock is easier/harder. Anyhow wrapped up a 6.5 immediatly after, and found the same thing, fairly easy kink, and then harder than heck for the last 1 1/2 or so,actually probably 2in, got it to 1/16 in from a legal bend right at 5min but was toast, also was about 1/4 in off center :( .... today I fell like I have pneumonia in my chest or like someone tied each arm to a tractor trailer and tried to pull me apart... :ohmy. Anyhow to anyone out there looking at the stainless beware of the last inch or so and dont get cocky, like I did when it kinks easier than you think it will........Hope to cert in the next week or so, but we will see as I am not looking forward to hitting one of those bad boys anytime soon......Brett

Great post, glad to hear about you bending again! So is the 6.5" harder than the 5.5" round in your opinion?

Josh

Thanks for the lowdown Brett, I've been eyeballing the shiny since I got my stuff last week. I got the 5.5 round last weekend so hopefully it will be pretty close. Good luck with the cert!

- Aaron

Nice report Brett.

I was working with a stainless bar on tuesday and my pec is pretty sore too. :erm

Yes I feel like the 6.5 stainless is harder than the 5.5 round, but just at the very end of the crushdown, that last inch is nasty. My best bend on the 5.5 is 45 seconds, and I couldnt finish off the 6.5 to save my life, but and this is a big but....my bending varies a ton from week to week.. Acorn you should kill the 7in pretty easily and I would guess after watching your 5.5 bend that you will most likely get the 6.5 as well, if not right off the bat then pretty soon. The stainless bends with a huge U shape, almost like it is going to bend in a full circle, it is a totally different beast for sure. Franky, if it is any consolation the soreness is a little worse today even.....Pain is just weakness leaving the body..right? :tongue ...I was stuck at the 6in round for longer than I care to admit to, and have totally focused on bending for the last month or so, even quit benching completely...Glad to see it is finally paying off.....Brett

Thanks for the reply Brett, I vary a good bit too from week to week, and have been nursing a strained pec, bicep for a few weeks. Bicep is good now and I think that the pec is getting closer to 100% maybe 95%. I'm looking forward to trying both of those, as well as some new steel I ordered this week. I picked up 6' each of drill rod at .323 and .332 diameter. I'm hoping that it will be a little harder than the normal round so I can work the progression up to some of the tougher bends. If it works out I will let you guys know. I was thinking of even possibly sending some to Eric for calibration if it feels good. Good luck on the 6.5"

- Aaron

I bet you'll kill the 6.5"er Aaron.

:mosher Yep that stainless stuff will sort the men from the boys its nasty,my best on it is a 1/4x6in square and a 7mm x 6.5 hex stainless!

Brett

Nice work on the 7 and 6.5 stainless i am shure you will soon be putting a 6" one away.

Josh with the fbbc stock i have i find that the stainless is maybe a touch easier on the initial kink but much much harder on the crush especially the sub 6"stuff.

I agree that the kink is not so bad.

I got the 7" stainless down to crestcrush part in 19 seconds and then stopped to take my outside wraps off.

Needless to say the steel cooled down and I was not able to crush it. I've been working on it a little more today and have it down from 4" to 3.5" and Am hoping to finish it off here in a few minutes. The crushdown on this stainless stuff is sick and wrong.

I love it.

Okay.

I just hit it again.

It's down to 2 7/8" now instead of 3 1/2".

I'm gonna hit it again in a sec.

Wish me luck.

It's down to 2 3/8" now.

I'm dizzy.

It feel like I am trying to crest crush a Mack Truck.

Great fight, great victory!

Awesome, Travis. :rock

If I'm feeling strong on Sunday I will give one of those shiny's a shot.

- Aaron

If I'm feeling strong on Sunday I will give one of those shiny's a shot.

- Aaron

Kill it Bro.

Great job Travis! And excellent work Kerb with the Shiny Bastard! How long do you think it was from start to finish?

Nice work travis, way to stick with it. Ben, I would say somewhere around a minute, the funny thing is I took off my wraps to measure it the first time and 1 of them rolled under my deep freeze, it took me a while to find it so not sure on exact time. And thank you for the kind words.....Until I cert though I cannot rest, as I have a long history of choking on certs :( .........Brett

I finished off a shiny bastard tonight during my workout. started it about 10 days ago. You were right about it being like driving into a wall. I got it down to 1 7/8 though after about 7 minutes.

- Aaron