What Is The Best Wrist Roller Brand/type?

rmaidment

What is the best wrist roller brand/type?

Has anyone tried the ironmind wrist roller?

What are the advantages of performing the exercise free standing rather than having it attached to a bar?

What is the best wrist roller brand/type?

Has anyone tried the ironmind wrist roller?

What are the advantages of performing the exercise free standing rather than having it attached to a bar?

1. There is no "best" roller - some are better constructed than others, but "best" is a personal preference thing.

2. Yes, its well made, but too short for my taste (I like my arms straight out, not angled in). The knurling makes for a good callous trimmer.

3. For pure forearm strength, there are no advantages to free standing (imo) - put all your work into the roll, not holding it up.

Edited by maidenfan

Make your own, some pvc pipe and rope will do it and its very cheap. I made one a while back, IMO it'll hold in excess of 250-300lbs.

Pvc and rope. Easy and cheap. You can also make the twist yo wrist with a piece of 4" pvc and rope. You can buy this stuff cheap but if you ask around and dig through a few dumpsters you can find this stuff for free.

When making the wrist roller with pipe and rope, how do you avoid the bump that the end of the rope inside the pipe will make? It would probably be annyoing everytime you roll over the bump when you're working out.

With the pvc pipe you don't avoid the bump caused by the rope. If you use steel pipe you can weld or have someone weld some sort of ring on it to attatch the rope which would leave the inside smooth. Either way is going to be cheaper than what you can buy one for.

Best made wrist rollers IMO are the PDA ones very strong with extremly smooth rotation when mounted on a bar and the knurling isnt too sharp

Mark

When making the wrist roller with pipe and rope, how do you avoid the bump that the end of the rope inside the pipe will make? It would probably be annyoing everytime you roll over the bump when you're working out.

I just put a smaller diamater pipe in between the PVC and the bar. It doesn't totally eliminate it but it reduces it greatly i find.

With the pvc pipe you don't avoid the bump caused by the rope. If you use steel pipe you can weld or have someone weld some sort of ring on it to attatch the rope which would leave the inside smooth. Either way is going to be cheaper than what you can buy one for.

I used plastic pipe (not sure if it was PVC) but used a Jubilee clip (hose clamp) to fix the rope on. No bump at all when I use it over a bar. I've only used it with 47.5kg so far..........................

Dax

I have the one from New York Barbells, the Power Wrist Roller - I really like it, here's the link:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/0140.html

Thanks for the instructions on how to build a solid wrist roller. I made one today and it works great.

Question: How often should I incorporate wrist rolls? With every grip workout? I'd love to have some advice!

I am a wrist roller freak.

I have several brands.

While the IM wrist roller is a quality wrist roller the knurling on it will tear your hands to shred.

Very difficult to do reps with it with bare hands because of the knurling.

The nybb roller is a pretty good one with mild knurling.I have done 250lbs with it in a power rack at chest level with no problems.

My favorites though have to be the fat bastard wrist rollers.No knurling on them to tear your hands and they are the most heavy duty wrist rollers i have.I bought all three sizes they sell 2",2.5",and 3".Hey i said i was a wrist roller freak.A little harder to get weight up with out the knurling but good for the grip as well as the wrists.John will also custom make them to your specs.I had mine made 6"longer than they sell them.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the BB suported one, and I like it a lot, but the knurling is sharp as hell. It tears up my hands bad when I load some weight on there. Should I wear gloves?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you need to wear gloves, your hands will heal and get used to it.

Question: do the rollers open up so you can place them in the middle of a barbell? I have the wrist roller strap from www.strengthcats.com, the BNS wrist roller strap which attaches to the plate loading end of an olympic bar, it's nice, but it's kind of a hassle to have to even out the barbell on both sides.

I am a wrist roller freak.

I have several brands.

While the IM wrist roller is a quality wrist roller the knurling on it will tear your hands to shred.

Very difficult to do reps with it with bare hands because of the knurling.

The nybb roller is a pretty good one with mild knurling.I have done 250lbs with it in a power rack at chest level with no problems.

My favorites though have to be the fat bastard wrist rollers.No knurling on them to tear your hands and they are the most heavy duty wrist rollers i have.I bought all three sizes they sell 2",2.5",and 3".Hey i said i was a wrist roller freak.A little harder to get weight up with out the knurling but good for the grip as well as the wrists.John will also custom make them to your specs.I had mine made 6"longer than they sell them.

FBBC 3" gets my vote too

What is the situation with the "bump" in the FBBC wrist rollers? If there's no (or little) bump in a FBBC wrist roller I might order 1 or 3 of them. Thanks.

No bump. The ends are welded in to fit the crossbar in a squat rack.

Mobsterone,

How much have you rolled on that 3"in the rack like your pic shows?

As per my log: When the photo was taken that's what I was doing 81.25-kilos in plates for a top set of 3 singles. This past Monday I did 85-kilos / 187lbs for 3 singles and felt I had a little room to spare. I want to be hitting 100-kilos / 220lbs or close to it by xmas and 300lbs by mid to late next year. I'm happy to take my sweet time.

I'm currently training this at the same time with three other guys and that cuts down on the muscle numbing burn and pump you get when you either train solo or with a single buddy. I'm not exageratting to say that it can easily pump the forearms by between 1/2 and 3/4 on an inch and that's just doing what I do. My total training on this, at the end of a workout or I'd not be able to hold onto any bars, is 3 sets of 3 x 1 (I start with 40kg / 88lbs, then 60kg / 132lbs and then my max set) - all those are what I call ACW (anti clock wise / rolled towards you). I then do about 60% of my ACW weight rolling it away from me (clockwise).

There were two photos taken. The one linked to shows me really, really foccused on doing what needs to be done. The other, where I saw the cameraman out of the corner of my eye was where I suddenly stopped twisting the w/roller and smiled with the weight I was using while posing ha ha. The guys cracked up. :D

I've been taking quite a few training photos recently and much prefer the images in B&W as per the example there. Those white flecks you see are chalk dust and the gym I train in when doing W/R work is no frills. It has cobwebs up in the corners and there is a plant growing out of the floor behind the leg press - it's GREAT!

Edited by mobsterone