Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Hello there. I know it's not interesting to follow newbie's routines, but I just need advise, or need someone with experience to tell me one or two things... then I'll feel better.

I took as a base the "Newbie's routine" by David Horn in the FAQ section. However, with some changes. I don't know what finger curls are, and in that thread, someone told me I could use the grippers instead of the finger curls, and while they're NOT the same, they are a bit similar, and I already have the grippers and I kinda like them. Also, I don't have anything to 2-hand pinch, so I can't do that. But I ordered some stuff from ironmind, so I could sorta train. This is what today (I worked out wednesday, but just to try my new "equipment"), my first real day of workout, looked like:

-Expand your hand bands. White (weaker) ones, 15 reps.

-Wrist curls with dumbells. 3 sets (12, 10, 8), started with 20lbs and finished with 35.

-Reverse wrist curls with dumbells. 3 sets (12, 10, 8), did 10lbs the first two sets, and then 12. WOW is this excercise a bastard! Specially on my left, I had to help me with those 12 lbs. Hell, I had to help it in the 2nd set with 10 lbs. I'm very weak with this one.

-Titan Telegraph Key. 3 sets (12, 10, 8), started with 7.5 lbs... it's hard if one only uses the thumb! (the last bit of it too, not the entire thumb). Did 8.5 or 9 lbs in the final set. My left had a hard time with that.

-Grippers. Repped my T 10 times with each hand. Then strapheld some pounds with my right. I can't lift weight with my left yet, it seems.. not after some workout. I later repped the T about 25 times and held it shut for a few secs with my right. I can't even rep it 10 times closing it completely with my left... I hate this difference in my hands. I didn't do strpholds, just 1 set to see if I could. Then I attempted the #1, which I couldn't even close with my right (got to 1-2 mm), because I was tired. I did close it and held it shut after the workout and a shower.

-Ironmind's Block pinch. It seems the TTK destroyed my thumb, because I was very weak at this point. I tried doing 3 sets (15 seconds hold, then 10 secs, then 10 more).. I ended with like 17.5 lbs on my left hand, and about 20 with my right. I know I can do more than this with both hands (tried wednesday), but as I said, I think the TTK took my strength away.

-Ironmind's Hub pinch. Again 3 sets of holds.... again with VERY crappy weight, not even reaching 20 lbs I believe. Once again, I did way more on wednesday, when I was just testing. But at this point my hands sucked. Oh, and I have no chalk. I was using baby powder (LOL), thinking as it's white, it would help somehow =P heh heh.

-Expand your hand bands again. The weaker ones for 15 reps.

-Contrast baths. 1.5 mins hot, 1.5 mins cold, this x 3 times. (say, 9 minutes total on this).

How does this sound? Does it sound correct? .. I ordered an ISG, which should be here in about 2-3 weeks since PDA closed it's offices till August 2nd or so. So I'll have that to work my crushing grip as well (it should help me with the grippers, I believe).

This is a hobbie, not doing it for any particular reason, just want to have strong hands!! ... I was thinking of doing this 3 times week.

Any advise? PLEASE tell me, and I will change... don't wanna get hurt, and DO want to gain strength!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Sure - post away. Heres a link to a tip from Richard Sorin - pretty good advice for a person starting out.

Sorin Grip Tip

Edited by maidenfan

From that tip, I can conclude the following:

1. I will no longer rep the crap out of the T, instead focus on the #1 a bit more.

2. No thumbs on the reverse curls!! I was using the thumbs! And still only managed that little weight, my goodness...

I think the grippers are too far appart. Like, the T from the #1... a huge difference. I can't close the #1 with my left, for example, yet I can rep the T a few times. I hope the ISG will help me with this, as it has so many different levels, I can go increasing bit by bit, the way any other regular excercise is done.

1. I will no longer rep the crap out of the T, instead focus on the #1 a bit more.

2. No thumbs on the reverse curls!! I was using the thumbs! And still only managed that little weight, my goodness...

I think the grippers are too far appart. Like, the T from the #1... a huge difference. I can't close the #1 with my left, for example, yet I can rep the T a few times. I hope the ISG will help me with this, as it has so many different levels, I can go increasing bit by bit, the way any other regular excercise is done.

Well after reading that first post it looks like you certainly have all the tools you need to make some great progress. And yes the gaps between the IM grippers is quite large. Luckily there are other companies out there which make in between grippers. The ISG is also another great option.

Good luck, and good gripping.

Yes definately you should post. I'm glad that I have kept a training log since I started doing grip stuff. It's very motivating to look back and see how far I've come versus only thinking about the daily workout.

- Aaron

Dude, aren't you the guy who said "when I was strong, I could raw bench 550 and shoulder press 315 for 8-10 reps" ? I feel utterly proud that you even bothered to reply here. =P ... no, but seriously, I've never really worked out, but I've tried the weights a couple of times. I think my chest is actually my weakest part. Right now I don't even think I can bench press 100lbs on the olimpic bar. I suck that much. I can do a few reps in that possition with 60lbs dumbells though... this has always kept me wondering. Some people who can only lift as much or just a bit more than me in dumbells, when they go to the bar, they lift WAY more... why is this? =/

Anyways, this is a grip workout. And by the end of the year I DO hope to look back and say "hah! look at me, saying I was gonna hide the #2 because it felt so far out of reach!".. =)

Remember it's not about what you start with, it's the effort you put in. The gains that you make in the beginning are great for motivation so work hard. Look foward to seeing your progress.

Remember it's not about what you start with, it's the effort you put in. The gains that you make in the beginning are great for motivation so work hard. Look foward to seeing your progress.

Just what I think too! Work hard!

Actually the difference between the T and the #1 is tiny compared to what you'll face with tougher grippers. The gap between the #1 and the #2 feels like climbing a small mountain compared to the gap between the T and the #1, however once I close the #2 I'll probably look at the distance to the #3 like climbing Mt. Everest.

:D Yep thats a big mountain,but keep at it the journey will be worth it!

Mon 24.07.2006.

Today I went to a sports good and bought some chalk. The only chalk they had, was one for billiard players! WTF? Isn't that supossed to make your hand more slippery? I wasted about an equivalent of US$13 .. the thing did not help AT ALL with my pinch. So I used nothing, just my dry hand, and I was much better than last time!

Wrist curls - 3 sets, finished with 41lbs right hand and 36 left hand (not counting the little bar and the 2 "screws" that hold the plates...).

Reverse wrist curls - 3 sets, finished with 12lbs RH and 10lbs LH (this is SOOO difficult for me!).

I don't really like doing this anymore! Maybe I should get one of those machines (formulator? pegasus?) to work out my forearm muscles.

Grippers:

30 repped the T with my RH (must be a PR).

10 repped the T with my LH, and I'm not sure I was completely closing it in the latter reps. My LH sucks.

A few attempts with the #1, most unsuccesfull. (hand was tired already!)

TTK - 3 sets, could do about 9 lbs with my right thumb. 7.5 or so with my left, to be able to complete a proper 8 to 10 reps.

IM's pinch block - Here's when I washed my hands and just went at it like this. No chalk or anything. I did 3 sets of holds for 10 secs.. not all was succesfull, sometimes I'd drop it and pick it up again for another couple of seconds. But I could do 30.5 lbs RH and about 28 LH. (not counting block itself or loading pin).

IM's pinch hub - My fingertip strength stinks. I was able to hold 20 lbs for a while with both hands. Started with 15, did 3 sets of holds.

Extensors, contrast baths.

I'm hoping when my Ivanko SG arrives I can make some more progress in my crushing. The grippers are tough and too far appart one from the other.

Don't be so hard on yourself I think your doing great for someone just getting started with physical training. We all had to start somewhere. You already have the most important things. Dedication and motivation, just stick with it and everything else will come with time.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Thanks acorn.

Ya'll know what I've been thinking? ... I'm not doing any other exercises, well, just cardio to keep losing weight. (I'm finally under 200lbs, for the first time since I was about 15 or so! .. I'm 22-almost 23 now), but for about 2 months (or almost) I've been doing pushups, just 3 sets, most days of the week. Yesterday I increased the number to 30 per set, but it's hard, only set 1 went fine, I crapped in the others (but I always finish it, even if I have to rest 10-20 secs to continue).

Anyways, pushups have benefited my triceps... but, as expected, not my biceps of course. I was reading Mastery of Hand Strength the other day, and noticed the "Plier lifting" excercise. I noticed it would be easy to do bicep curls while plier lifting, training both the biceps AND the crushing grip to some extent. What do ya think? Just a thought. I know, I need to workout the whole body... I will, eventually, after I lose some more pounds. I see myself in the mirror now, at about 198lbs, and I think to myself "damn, I'm fat!"... when I think "how the hell was I weighing 255 back in 2005? hot damn, I must've been really fat!".. My wife must really love me, seriously, because I was a bloody whale when we met. =P

Don't be so hard on yourself I think your doing great for someone just getting started with physical training. We all had to start somewhere. You already have the most important things. Dedication and motivation, just stick with it and everything else will come with time.

- Aaron

Yeah, give yourself some time to build up a base and you'll be able to make a run at some of the big grippers or a pinch. That IM block is slippery so 30lbs for a 10sec hold is a darn good start.

I have to say you have done a great job with weight loss!

Weak is a relative term, compete against yourself, whenever you have a PR..you just got stronger!!!

That's right! The name of your log should be changed.. think positively, it helps :)

Well, I am thinking positively, otherwise I wouldn't be training! :-)

Comparing to myself, sure, I'd be stronger every week. But compared to any other member on this board (including females) is frustrating. I'll just try not to compare me with you guys for a long while. =P

Well, I am thinking positively, otherwise I wouldn't be training! :-)

Comparing to myself, sure, I'd be stronger every week. But compared to any other member on this board (including females) is frustrating. I'll just try not to compare me with you guys for a long while. =P

Remember, that no matter how strong you get, it's likely that there's allways somebody stronger. So no use to compare, other than compare what you are today against what you were yesterday, last week, last month and so on.

I've got a horrible flu. Still, wanted to train. Forgot about the flu during the workout, amazing.

Wrist curls with dumbells (for some reason my wrists kinda hurt when using a bar), 3 sets, finished with 38lbs.

Reverse wrist curls with the bar, finishe with about 12 lbs. There is noticeable difference in my right wrist and left in this excercise (actually, in everything, but it shows a lot in this).

Grippers - Repped the T 15 times RH (didn't want to do more), and about 10 LH (the latter ones assisted). My LH sure stinks. I could do more reps with my RH, but I don't know what to do, if keep doing more reps on the T or what, as I can't even rep the #1. A few #1 attempts, all failed due to tired hand. I tried some negatives, but can't hold it shut with my LH. Held it a while with my RH, shut or almost shut.

TTK, I tried it 2-handed after seeing Vice's log - 3 sets, ended with about 18 or 20 lbs, don't remember.

IM's pinch block - 3 sets of holds, LH ended with 28lbs, RH with 34 lbs. (not counting block/pin). No chalk too.

IM's pinch hub - 3 sets of holds (again around 10 secs each), could do 23lbs RH and about 20 LH. I could do more if I were to just lift-and-release, but I want to hold it for at least a few secs. I grab it with my fingers straight, I think they call this "claw style" ? ...

Extensors, white ones and then green ones. While the water was heating for the contrast baths, grabbed the #1 and closed it with my RH. Also closed the T inverted with both hands (but I have to set it to almost parallel to be able to do this). That was just for fun I guess. I then did contrast baths.

I also tried some "plier lifting" today... I cut of a about 7 inches off an old leather belt, and used one of those big buckets, with 30lbs inside... I could lift it, but my hand hurts because of the preassure to go down. So I don't think I'm gonna do more plier lifting.

I also bought a 8lbs 36" sledge hammer today. I need to work on my wrists... but I can't lever it if I grab it near the end. I have to grab it almost in the middle! Lol. I will mark the inches on it and start where I can, and try to gradually grab it closer to the bottom.

I am still anxious to get my ISG, and I'll order some chalk for the pinching, because I had to be drying my hand by blowing on it, and that was a pain in the arse. =)

Man! Today my life changes! ... I went insane. After losing 40+ pounds, it's time for PUMPING IRON! But I don't wanna stop doing cardio.. so I woke earlier than usual today, went to the gym before work, and did 30 mins of cardio. Then went to the gym again at noon (when I used to go and do cardio), but pumped some iron. Chest and triceps... it owned. I love it. And I'm not as weak as most newbies, yuppie! Then, at 6pm, after work, it's hand-strength time! Wow, on mon/wed/fri I'm gonna be working out 3 times a day, sorta. It better produce some results!! I hope I can hold on to this new waking up time. I appreciate my sleep a lot. Guess I'll have to try and go to bed a bit sooner at night.

Wrist curls w/dumbells- 2x10, 1x8 (last one @ 36 lbs).

Reverse wrist curls w/bar - 2x10, 1x8 (last one @ 12 lbs).

Grippers. Some reps with the T. My left felt weaker than ever today. Some attempts at the #1, no go, too tired. (hands still not used to workout). Tried some negs on the #1 since I couldn't close it. #1 feels still too strong for my left hand.

TTK with both hands - 3x10, ended with 19lbs (about 6 reps, then quickly took off a 3lbs plate and did the other 4 reps).

SLEDGE! I tried this for the first time, and I love it!! But it's mighty difficult!!

For the levering where it's held upwards, brought to the face, and back up, I can grab it a little bit below half of it.

For the levering where it's held upwards, and one moves it 90 degrees either clockwise, or counterclockwise, I had to grab the thing almost by the weight! LOL....

For the levering where it's held downwards, and one moves it to the back, I held it kinda in the middle.

So, the closest levering excercise where I am from holding it from the bottom, is the one where I bring it to the nose. It's an 8lb sledge. I'll include more of this. Only did about 2 sets of each, about 2 reps each (were too damn tough!).

IM's pinch bock - Improved my PR! 3x10 seconds... LH: 33 lbs for a few seconds. RH: 36 lbs for a few secs! I think then I tried 38lbs and could hold it for at least 3-4 secs. I should get a Blob 25 somehow to see if I can lift the sucker, because those 38 + 5lbs from the block itself is 43! .. how different from a blob is this? (I reckon the top-pinchers pinch more with the IM Pinch Block, so a blob must be more difficult).

IM's pinch hub - 3x10 secs. I think I managed to do 23 or 26 lbs with my RH, and 23 with my LH, or had to drop to 20 to finish the complete 10 secs. The thing was too slippery today, I was swating a lot, it's not cold here in the caribbean, and I have no darned chalk!

So, the pinching felt great for me, but the grippers, which ironically are what I'm most interested in, I don't seem to progress. :( ... The darned PDA offices will open up again and ship it out on Aug 02 or so... I hope I can progress a bit with that.

Also, the wrist curls of today... my wrist felt like it was gonna pop, damn, those wrists of mine sure suck. Maybe the levering will help.

Oh, and I did extensors after crushing (whites and greens), and contrast baths at the end.

Was dead tired today. Started lifting some weights...

I started with wrist curls. It's official, I hate these. I absolutely hate them with either a bar or a dumbell. I need one of those devices for doing this... gonna check which one is better/cooler and based on other people's opinions I will order one tomorrow morning.

Grippers - Repping the T. #1 attempts with my LH are laughable. With my right were OK. I feel a slight progress only because I can hold the #1 with my right for a long time (although ALMOST shut), lol... and I could rep the T a bit more with the left today, needing very little help for the first 10 reps.

TTK - 3 sets, ended with 20lbs.

IM's Pinch Block - 3 sets... I then held 40lbs with my RH for a couple of secs only, and 35 with my left for a couple of secs.

My thumbs felt destroyed today. They hurted a lot even at noon, when I lifted a lot of dumbells to do my pecs/triceps routine. Regular gym dumbells, dunno why, but my thumbs felt tired.

SO... I didn't do the IM pinch hub today.

HOWEVER... I played with my new toy, the 8lb sledge. This is what I did with it:

Levering to nose - I can grab it a little bit below half of it now... I hope to get lower and lower till I do it from the end. I only did like 2 sets of 2 reps of each of these things.... dunno what to do.

Levering to the back. Grabbing it from about the half of the handle.

With arm fully extended and hammer upwards, turn it clockwise 90 deg. and back up. Also turning it counterclockwise 90 deg. and back up. This is the one I find the most difficult, and I have to do this grabbing the hammer VERY close to the weight. Lol..... is this a real excercise? Damn.

I like the hammer. My wrists are damn weak, seems like a good tool to strenthem then, while being kinda fun to use. But I still dunno what to do, for how many sets/reps, etc.

In my right hand, the skin between the index and thumb is kinda "tight". I think it could have been from trying to close the grippers in inverted possition. So I did no pinch today. I just tried the T and #1 after doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, and played around with my sledge for a while. I love the sledge, though I suck at it, heh.

I feel like I'm not progressing on the grippers, and that just kills me. =( I think my ISG is supossed to be shipped today or so... hope it gets here soon, and I better like it! Or I'll get angry at gripping! =P

In my right hand, the skin between the index and thumb is kinda "tight". I think it could have been from trying to close the grippers in inverted possition. So I did no pinch today. I just tried the T and #1 after doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, and played around with my sledge for a while. I love the sledge, though I suck at it, heh.

I feel like I'm not progressing on the grippers, and that just kills me. =( I think my ISG is supossed to be shipped today or so... hope it gets here soon, and I better like it! Or I'll get angry at gripping! =P

If you feel like you are not making progress on the grippers, try doing them first in your grip workouts. Attack them fresh is what I do and I think it should work for you too. :cool I suggest that you do your wrist curls after that.