Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

29.9.2006: Wide pinch with Blobette+getting used to the IGDA.

No RT today, hands have been sore as I've played around with my IGDA for the last couple of days..and I should have rested! :) In fact I've been thinking that I'm going to start adding tape around my kettlebell handles and that should suffice as thick bar work or at least as a way to get used to it. So far every single time that I've done RT my forearms have been screwed up for far too many days. I have to build that up slowly to get used to the very different beating it gives to the forearms. Adding a layer of tape to readily thick kettlebell handles every once in a while should be a good way to build that tolerance up.

1. Blobette lifts from the floor, 15 kg

4 x 5 x 3 sec holds. These felt heavy for the lefty and I did negatives with it starting from the second set.

2. IGDA choked at parallel, tension 203lbs

R: 2×10, 1×8

L: 1×10, 1×7, 1×6

I figured out that since this a new kind of movement for me, I better do some lighter stuff in the beginning to build some base for the heavier stuff. So I'm doing something I hardly ever do in my gripper workouts: reps! Did not do maximum amount I could possibly do, last reps on the each set were taxing but not insanely heavy by all means.

Edited by Teemu I

No RT today, hands have been sore as I've played around with my IGDA for the last couple of days..and I should have rested! :) In fact I've been thinking that I'm going to start adding tape around my kettlebell handles and that should suffice as thick bar work or at least as a way to get used to it. So far every single time that I've done RT my forearms have been screwed up for far too many days. I have to build that up slowly to get used to the very different beating it gives to the forearms. Adding a layer of tape to readily thick kettlebell handles every once in a while should be a good way to build that tolerance up.

4 x 5 x 3 sec holds. These felt heavy for the lefty and I did negatives with it starting from the second set.

I figured out that since this a new kind of movement for me, I better do some lighter stuff in the beginning to build some base for the heavier stuff. So I'm doing something I hardly ever do in my gripper workouts: reps! Did not do maximum amount I could possibly do, last reps on the each set were taxing but not insanely heavy by all means.

Teemu

How did you find the ISGDA? Ive had one for a while its a great tool infact i dont have any other grippers inbetween the coc grippers as i dont feel its nessary with the ISGDA

Mark

Teemu

How did you find the ISGDA? Ive had one for a while its a great tool infact i dont have any other grippers inbetween the coc grippers as i dont feel its nessary with the ISGDA

Mark

I have had my sights on getting that for a long time, I remember asking how I could order ISG directly from Ivanko and they directed me to ask from PDA. I wasn't a member on this forum back then so I've been pondering about buying that for quite some time. Now that I did I'm very satisfied.

1.10.2006: Grippers+IGDA+Dynamic thumb

1. BBSE choked at 12mm, 5 attempts

R: 4/5 missed by 1mm, fifth by 2mm, Forced in

L: All missed by 4-5mm, Forced in

2. Filed #3 (filed it some more prior to workout)

- 10 x forced closures, every single forced in 3 times

3. Reps with IGDA, choked, still relatively light resistance

1. 204, R: 1×15, L: 1×12

2. 210, R: 1×12, L:1×10

3. 220, R: 1×10, L: 1×8

4. 235, R: 1×8, L: 1×6

4. Dynamic thumb, small pony clamp

3×5 both hands

BBSE is a tough bastard, I'll stay at 12 mm for the next workout. IGDA feels good, I'm using that to add some volume to my training. Let's see what it does.

Edited by Teemu I

How close are you holding the Pro when your NC'ing it?

I can hold it at parallel with my left hand and at about 15 mm with my right. Long way to go holding it closed. :) Still I feel I benefit from them.

Edited by Teemu I

I can hold it at parallel with my left hand and at about 15 mm with my right. Long way to go holding it closed. :) Still I feel I benefit from them.

Thats extremely strong!

Thats extremely strong!

Thanks, but you have to remember that I use extended handle to do my negatives, makes it easier to cheat the gripper closed -->allows you to squeeze way harder during the negative phase.

Edited by Teemu I

2.10.2006: Active recovery

Hands feel beaten after yesterday's training.

1. Rotations with 1kg iron shots

- 3 minutes both hands

2. Extensors with IM rubber bands

5x5 red bands

3.10.2006: Wrists

Barbell wrist curls

1 x 5 x 72,5 kg (Not hard)

1 x 5 x 75 kg

1 x 4 x 77,5 kg (Felt heavy, last rep was a serious battle and it took me about 10 seconds to complete)

Progress is nice.

Barbell reverse wrist curls one hand at a time

1 x 9 x 20kg both hands

1 x 6 x 22,5kg both hands

Levering two 5 kg sledgehammers from the ground to shoulder and back to the ground

5 progressively heavier singles. Saw some progress with these as well.

(I'm measuring my progress with these marking the spot where I end up each time with rubber bands)

Nice workout after 3 days of flu.

Thanks, but you have to remember that I use extended handle to do my negatives, makes it easier to cheat the gripper closed -->allows you to squeeze way harder during the negative phase.

Do the extended handle negatives ever hurt your palm? When I force my body weight down, that handle just digs into my palm and I think I have bruised the tendons in there. Even when I'm just holding the negative, the palm-side handle hurts way more than if I just do a normal negative. Do you get the same thing?

Do the extended handle negatives ever hurt your palm? When I force my body weight down, that handle just digs into my palm and I think I have bruised the tendons in there. Even when I'm just holding the negative, the palm-side handle hurts way more than if I just do a normal negative. Do you get the same thing?

Yes, they are painful. But I've never had any actual problems.

Are you going to the Fitness Expo this weekend to finally get your cert?

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to go there.

5.10.2006: Grippers+Blobette+IGDA

1. BBSE choked at 12mm, 5 attempts

R: 2/5 missed by 1mm,3/5 by 2mm, every single forced in

L: All attempts missed by 4-5mm, every single forced in

2. Blobette lifts from the floor, 15,25 kg

4 x 5, aiming at 3 sec holds each rep, I was far of today even with right hand, will not add weight next time

3. Reps with IGDA, choked

1. 235, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 8

2. 240, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 8

3. 245, R: 1 x 8, L: 1x6

Crappy all together.

8.10.2006: Grippers+IGDA+dynamic thumb

1. BBSE choked at 12mm (and choked at 15mm), five attempts

R: Closed! PR..and here's the video.

L: Missed by 4 mm, forced in

R: Closed, again

L: Missed by 4 mm, forced in

Then I decided to open it up a bit, to 15mm since these felt pretty good.

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in x 2, another PR

L: Missed by 6 mm, forced in x3

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in PR

L: Missed by 8 mm, forced in x 3

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in PR

L: Missed by 8 mm, forced in

2. BBE choked at parallel

R: 3 x 3 reps (all the reps closed in the first set, 2/3 in the second set, only the first one on the third set)

L: 3 x 3 reps (not all the way closed reps)

BBE is still a tough SOB..

1. 245, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 10

2. 250, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 6

3. 256, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

3×5 both hands

My current routine seems to work fine. BBSE feels more and more doable. It's not a long time since BBE felt as hard as BBSE did.

Wow, closing the BBSE at 12mm is good. What did you use on the handlets where the choker is? Tape?

How much do you need to open the clamp in order to be able to MMS the BBSE?

Wow, closing the BBSE at 12mm is good. What did you use on the handlets where the choker is? Tape?

How much do you need to open the clamp in order to be able to MMS the BBSE?

Thanks.

It's regular sports tape by Johnson & Johnson.

When I was able to get 4/5 attempts from 30 mm with Elite, that's when I was able to MMS close it for the first time. I expect that to be the same with BBSE.

12.10.2006: Blobette, wrists

I decided to change my routine a bit and do blobette lifts at the same workout as I train my wrists. I think that wrists are least effected by previous grip work, whether it is pinch or crush, where as you can forget about grippers after wrist curls. We'll see how it turns out.

Blobette lifts from the floor, 15,25 kg

4 x 5, aiming at 3 sec holds each rep, right hand was good for that, I even got a few decent reps with my left hand. Used index finger assistance on the reps I couldn't make honestly. So I will add weight next time. 15,5 kg shall be the weight for next workout. I'll start building up to 4x5 with that weight.

Wrist curls

Target for today was to get 5 reps with 77,5 kg's

1 x 2 x 77,5 kg CRAPPY Had to go down on weight

1 x 5 x 70 kg CRAPPY

Barbell reverse wrist curls one hand at a time

1 x 10 x 20 kg both hands

1 x 7 x 20 kg both hands

Levering two 5 kg sledgehammers from the ground to shoulder and back to the ground

5 progressively heavier singles. Saw some progress with these as well. But very minimal. I guess pinching affects these more than I thought, but it doesn't matter as long as I can make slow but steady progress in the long run.

(I'm measuring my progress with these marking the spot where I end up each time with rubber bands)

Not bad overall, all though wrist curling was tough today.

The blobette work will pay off.

Good luck!

Thanks, I like training with blobette very much, I'll probably add one more time in a week that I'll do it, later.

Also nice is lifting a block weight to a platform.

When lifting on a platform you're getting a very easy decision if it was a passed or failed attempt.

Making it higher makes the lift harder too.

Also nice is lifting a block weight to a platform.

When lifting on a platform you're getting a very easy decision if it was a passed or failed attempt.

Making it higher makes the lift harder too.

Good tips, Frank, will try those at some point.

15.10.2006: Grippers+IGDA+dynamic thumb

1. BBSE choked at 15mm, five attempts

R: Closed! PR

L: Missed by a mile, forced in

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in

L: Crappy, forced in

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy, forced in x3

R: Missed by 2 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy

R: Missed by 1 mm, forced in x 3

L: Crappy

2. BBE choked at parallel

R: 3 x 3 reps ( 2/3 closed at the first set, 1/3 closed at the second and third set)

L: 3 x 3 reps (crappy beyond belief)

1. 256, R: 1 x 10, L: 1 x 9

2. 261, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

3. 267, R: 1 x 8, L: 1 x 5

3×5 both hands

Not too bad for the right hand, weaker than last time for the left hand.