Assistance For Bending

Muscle Turtle

Im wondeirng what lifting movements have benefited your bending? At the moment I have not lifted a weight in a month and am now starting to notice my progress is slowly regressing.

When I was performing a lot of bench press and close grip bench press, I felt as though my bending was the strongest.

Do you feel that there are some movements that greatly benefit bending?

Benching movements will definitely benefit bending. Rows also help. And I would bet hammer curls could also help.

I'm not sure what lifts help benefit but I know after doing a back workout I'm worthless in terms of bending later on.

I havnt been bending much latley...I have been following a plan, that requirs benching three times a week, with Rows and hammer curls...

So for what its worth , my bending has been geting stronger, and i have only been benching... :unsure

Bench press, overhead press, wrist curls (mainly moderate to heavy dumbbell wrist curls). In an indirect way I think heavy lifting like deadlifts, rack pulls and squats also help. Heavy wrist curls would be my #1 vote as most effective assistance exercise.

I haven't thought of the effect that bent-over rowing and weighted pullups might have, I do these exercises but haven't really noticed the connection.

Other things that contribute to my bending strength (high overhand style) have been grippers and neck work. Also, dips and ring dips, handstand pushups.

Chest crush heavy grippers.

For scrolling, make your arms as strong as possible to stabalize your elbows and strengthen your core as well.

My bending has gone up quite a bit doing lots of leverage work and bending large springs.

Whats with traps work?

After volume sessions or long lasting single bends (60 minutes and longer) I always got sore in the traps.

Chest crush heavy grippers.

Do you mean to close the gripper with both hands

in front of your chest? Stupid question, probably,

but I don't know what you are talking about.

Janne, yes, closing the gripper with both hands in front of yourself...

Bob, large springs? Wher eyou find them?

They were springs from farm equipment. Honestly, no idea where to get them- Somebody gave me one.

If you were to have a spring with handles I imagine it would be really useful tool.

Think of a gripper, with the handles 180 degrees apart. It could be kinked like a nail, but over and over.

Neck exercises helps me a lot. Having a strong neck, helps too, if u want to be the next Terminator.

Didn't Clay do some field research about RED benders, saying that all could pull some impressive numbers in the deadlift? Can't remember where I read that...

Heavy Incline Dumbell Press by far... I think thats the best exercise for bending strength for DO atleast.

Wow, that picture looks seriously dangerous...

As far as the article is concered, I think the idea was that DO benders tend to have long arms and high Dead Lift numbers, while DU benders tend to have shorter arms with high bench numbers...

Heavy Incline Dumbell Press by far... I think thats the best exercise for bending strength for DO atleast.

Wouldn't the decline dumbell press be better, since it's more similar to the DO.

they still sell them twist o flex came out when the bullworker was around good for armwrestling to :rolleyes

I was messing around with one of those damn twist o flex spring things as a teenager when someone bought one into work. I assume it was one of those, or very similar- a big black spring with two handlebar-type grips on the ends.

I had sweaty hands, the thing flew out of my hands and smacked me in the bottom jaw a treat. I bit through my tongue- lots of blood, hurt to all buggery. I still have a little funny bit on my tongue as a souvenir. :rock

The homemade version in the picture looks as if it could do even more damge- carnage central!

Chris.

If you were to have a spring with handles I imagine it would be really useful tool.

Think of a gripper, with the handles 180 degrees apart. It could be kinked like a nail, but over and over.

Someone should market a gadget like that maybe in different spring strengths like grippers. I'm sure there would be money in it.

For DU benders, I think deltoid exercises are logical. Deltoids fan the elbows out during the kink. Presses hit the deltoids a lot, so that makes sense. Lateral raises might be even more specific, but don't build the whole upper body as much. Triceps also help, since DU benders extend the elbows as they hit the bar -- again, presses help.

Also, if you have wide lats, you can use that to help spread the elbows.