Hand size

Roark

Ron Van Os, who pulled the Inch about 5" off the

floor last week for three singles:

length 8-1/8", width 4".

One would assume that with training, Ron would manage

a full one hand deadlift- but he has no interest in

pursuing that feat!

Ok, so what is the final word on hand size?  I have small wrists and little-dinky-hands, the type that small girls point at on the street and start to giggle,  :blush but I have considerably stronger hands than other weight lifters.   :)  

On another note, here’s a great hand strength story for you all:

In college, a good friend of mine was from Russia.  During a sparring session of “straight-hand style fighting” he spoke of hand strength.  He had a grandfather who went by the name “old woman hands”.  In Russian, the name sounded much better.  This man had quite disproportionately small arms and hands, but possessed incredible hand strength.  It was his time in the Russian army, during WWII that he used these hands to the fullest.  His job was to sneak behind enemy lines with a small group of elite soldiers and capture a German.  They would then drag the prisoner back to friendly lines, where “old woman hands” would use his gift to interrogate him by “pinching the muscles off of the prisoners bones”.  Unimaginably, a horrible experience that would make any man talk.  :crazy      

Obviously, there is something with small hands. My little-girl-hands closed the #1 out-of-the-box and closed the #2 a few months later, and “old woman hands” possessed scary hand strength used in a frightening manner.  So what’s with hand size?  I know I struggle on thick-bar work, but every thing else is strong.  Anyone else with this “problem” and prove that it isn’t a physical issue?

• Like 1

Small hands when working with a gripper makes is more difficult to get into a proper closing position so you can apply your strength effectively to the gripper. I usually find I ahve to fiddle around quite a bit before I get a proper hold and have only recently managed to close the 3. The reality was I might of been able to close it quite a while ago but simply couldn't get the right grip to do so. With thick bar work however don't expect to be able to match it with the larger handed guys. It's not a matter of being weaker, it's the simple laws of mechanical leverage that increase the difficulty, instead work with bars that challenge 'your' hands.

• 13 years later...

I am going to bring this old thread back to life...

besides your hand size, has anyone tracked your hand growth over the years?   For example many body builder types hold their chest size and bicep size as important info.... Us grip obsessed people are usually more interested in the hand length or spread which you can not truly change much, but often we talk about building up the thumb pad.

just the other day I realized I have in fact grown some muscle in my hand.   Here is how I know:

at work, sometimes I need "gaffer tape" which is basically like a cloth version of duct tape.   Sometimes I work on a ladder and end up squeezing my hand through the center of the roll so I can have the tape with me on top of the ladder.   It has been about 6-8 months sense I have had to do this, but last week I was engaged in just this task...

Now the inside core of the gaffer roll is just over 3"

image.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 1

I need to fold my hand down to get the tape on my hand, but it works...

or at least it used to...

after a few times up the ladder I noticed a cut in my hand near the base of the thumb.  The next day (and even three days later) I feel a small bruise in that same place. 

So I am wondering if we should be measuring the circumference of the fist so that you can track the growth of that famously important thumb pad as well as the "extra meat" of the hand due to grip training?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

My hands are definitely wider, i havent tracked it but its evident in pictures. My old wedding band from six years ago wont go on either, so the bone density has also increased. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2002 at 3:29 PM, bender said:

Ok, so what is the final word on hand size?  I have small wrists and little-dinky-hands, the type that small girls point at on the street and start to giggle,  :blush but I have considerably stronger hands than other weight lifters.   :)  

On another note, here’s a great hand strength story for you all:

In college, a good friend of mine was from Russia.  During a sparring session of “straight-hand style fighting” he spoke of hand strength.  He had a grandfather who went by the name “old woman hands”.  In Russian, the name sounded much better.  This man had quite disproportionately small arms and hands, but possessed incredible hand strength.  It was his time in the Russian army, during WWII that he used these hands to the fullest.  His job was to sneak behind enemy lines with a small group of elite soldiers and capture a German.  They would then drag the prisoner back to friendly lines, where “old woman hands” would use his gift to interrogate him by “pinching the muscles off of the prisoners bones”.  Unimaginably, a horrible experience that would make any man talk.  :crazy      

Obviously, there is something with small hands. My little-girl-hands closed the #1 out-of-the-box and closed the #2 a few months later, and “old woman hands” possessed scary hand strength used in a frightening manner.  So what’s with hand size?  I know I struggle on thick-bar work, but every thing else is strong.  Anyone else with this “problem” and prove that it isn’t a physical issue?

Amazing story there bud!

• 2 weeks later...