First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

Hi guys, got a question on the basics of training. i also do other work for pressing movements and so on but i never train to failure or complete exhaustion. i train singles with 70% of what is possible and adding weight every three or four days depending in the exercise.withthis routine(from steve justa) i´m driving very good.

do you think it´s also possible with grip training this way or do you prefer less training days but more exhaustion?

greetings,nightowl

• 2 weeks later...

Im a newbie AW and will move right into your program, but for how long before starting to use grippers?

I know a few AW, including females, who started with grippers the day they started to AW, and none have had any problems whatsoever... One of the them actually started out using the #1 coc

I just bought the #1 and #1,5 coc myself... I reaaly want to start using them!

I would run the programme for 12-16 weeks, which is basically what I do for all of my progs.

But these exercises can be used at anytime in your life. I still use them now.

Re. Armwrestling. There are many exerices that are going to be more beneficial to you than grippers. I mean it. Elizabeth came 3rd in the A/W World's in Poland in 2001 when she was 17, and really she only just did some playing with the grippers. Her main grip work was not with grippers. As many are finding, including the strongmen, grippers are good for grippers, not for overall hand strength. So if you want to be good at grippers, train on grippers.

Hope this helps,

David

I'll just add that the only time I found ANY crossover to other exercises from using grippers was with Credit Card Set training!

I'll just add that the only time I found ANY crossover to other exercises from using grippers was with Credit Card Set training!

Sorry, but credit card set training...?

Length or width?

Thanks for previous respons

PS! How is this Elisabeth you are refering to and is their any difference in the way men and women train or should train for AW?

Edited by pbo4muscle

Credit card set training is starting each rep with a credit card width between the handles of the gripper. IronMind rules. Check for videos here or on youtube

Elizabeth is Elizabeth Horne, but was called Elizabeth Talbot then. She armwrestled Vika Gabakova in that championship.

Results here

http://www.armwrestling.com/WAF2001F.html

check Ladies Left 80+ KG class

No difference how a woman trains to a man. She trains as hard as me. I've seen her pass out whilst training.

David

• Like 1

What do you do in between cycles of this program? Do you just start over with heavier weights or is there a rest period?

After 12-16 weeks you should know what you want to do next. So then you can specialize in that certain area. But always remember to keep your other training all-round.

David

Credit card set training is starting each rep with a credit card width between the handles of the gripper. IronMind rules. Check for videos here or on youtube

Elizabeth is Elizabeth Horne, but was called Elizabeth Talbot then. She armwrestled Vika Gabakova in that championship.

Results here

http://www.armwrestling.com/WAF2001F.html

check Ladies Left 80+ KG class

No difference how a woman trains to a man. She trains as hard as me. I've seen her pass out whilst training.

David

Thanks again David!

I take you cc setting to heart... Actually have a friend who only does short reps, like 1,5 cm, arguing this is the togh part... ?

Expect my coc tomorrow and will play around with different setting to how it feels, but its AW, not grippers, I want to be good at.

But your wife, Elisabeth yes, is pretty damn strong at grippers for just have been playing around with them at 17... Maybe inspired by you :D

Edited by pbo4muscle

• 2 months later...

Thanks David! I started with a CoC only and luckily I haven't gotten hurt. I will switch to your routine tonight and let the gripper gather dust for a while. I am thinking after my 5x5 routine. Is this your recommendation/preference or should I do this routine on my off days for lifting?

• 1 month later...

Probably already been answered in this long thread but...

If I am doing regular lifting too but want to work on my grip should I do grip before or after my regular workout? I would think doing it before would hinder my clean/deadlift ability...

Thanks

Do it where you feel it is best. I can do grip first and have no problem for any lifts after, unless I do a vast amount of workload. But if I did I'd change it.

David

I find that the curls can tire my forearms to the point where other lifts are difficult, so I do it at the end of a workout. This may not be an issue if you're better conditioned than I am.

• 1 month later...

David and others,

thanks for all the great info posted here!

I've been using grippers as part of my grip training off and on for a couple of years (finally back on the grip wagon firmly now) and always close from either a no set or cc set (can close a 1.5, working on a 2). I find the pinky finger pad gets a bit torn up when doing any reps above 5 or so unless the gripper is taped. Just curious if this is normal or not - do I just need to toughen them up more, or do a lot of folks tape their grippers?

Any suggestions on using dexterity balls not covered in John Brookfields booklet? Duration of exercises, etc. I use the large IM ones, about 1.2lbs ea.

Again, thanks so much for all the great info.

Dan

I have never used dexterity balls so I can't really answer this.

Regarding your skin getting torn up on the grippers, the skin will get used to it, and if it doesn't then do what it needs to stop it.

I find the pinky finger pad gets a bit torn up when doing any reps above 5 or so unless the gripper is taped.
Don't tape the gripper, tape the problem area on the finger, start with several layers of tape, and as the skin toughens up, use less and less tape. Try rubbing salt water into the tender areas as well.

David and twig,

thanks for the advice. I'll see how it goes

Dan

• 1 month later...

Wow, great thread! Wish I had seen it before I ordered my CoC Trainer yesterday, lol. But since I already did, can I just alternate the 3x20 finger curls for 3 sets of 20 with the CoC (or if my max is less, for however many I can squeeze out)?

On another beginner grip training thread I read (on a different forum) said just to carry the gripper around with you and bust out sets whenever possible. Actually, I can just quote it, "Take the gripper with you where ever you go and do over 100-200 closes throughout the day, everyday for a week or two then take 2 days off or as long as it takes for your hands to heal and you'll find that your grip strength has grown by leaps and bounds, then redo it with a higher strength gripper. As a beginner the #1 goal isn't to find your max and work with it, it's to increase the strength and durability of the tendons in your hand then work from there."

Any thoughts?

One last question. Are CoC's only good for training CoC's?

If you mean does closing grippers have any carryover to other grip exercises, then not really; closing grippers is only good for closing grippers. Blockweights have a lot of carry over to other areas of grip, although they won't help with the final crushdown, the only thing that helps with the last few mm of a close is closing grippers.

If you mean does closing grippers have any carryover to other grip exercises, then not really; closing grippers is only good for closing grippers. Blockweights have a lot of carry over to other areas of grip, although they won't help with the final crushdown, the only thing that helps with the last few mm of a close is closing grippers.

Grippers are a very good and probably the easiest way to condition your hand/forearm tendon strength, which will in turn have a very strong carry over to any other hand strength endeavour! ;):)

Yep, I will also have to say that I've experienced gains on other exercises as well doing just grippers. They just don't build up the thumb strength.

• 4 weeks later...