Sore Skin...

Dude

When I train with my grippers I usually go to the point where I can do them anymore and take an hour break and go back and do them again, etc... The next day my hands are fairly sore muscular wise, but what prevents me from training is the burn of my skin. It feels like when I used to be a mason tender and I didn't keep my hands out of the cement, lol. I was wondering if there's some type of "therapy" you can do that will make it less rough on the hands and expediate skin recovery.

Vitamin E, oil, etc.... I've been doin the grippers for like a month or two now, so lemme know what you have for suggestions.

I use corn huskers lotion all the time. Also contrast baths ( Hot and Cold water).

Time will toughen....

A few more months and you won't be able to feel that nasty knurling no more!

I know this sounds a bit macho so here's another pointer:

I have put masking tape around my gripper handles where my middle finger rests as I get a callous here that can and does inhibit my training.

Surgical spirit or vinegar applied to the hands can also toughen them over time.

Hope this helps,

Dogz.

I use a lotion called Bepanthen, it speeds up the healing process of skin. I think the most important stuff it contains is Dexpanthenol. It used to be made by Roche, but Bayer bought it just a few weeks ago.

Rolle

I would just get some hand lotion. Doesn't have to be fancy, just some good 'ol hand lotion. Use it especially at night and after you shower/wash your hands. Soap and lots of water tend to dry out the hands.

I work outside and get lots of grease and dirt on my hands so I'm always washing them then I come home, put chalk on them and abuse them doing grip work. My skin is like leather and all calloused every line on my hands is cracked open. I started using corn huskers lotion during the day and Zims crack creme at night its working miricales for me.

calluses will help, but I would reccomend udder Butter, Udderly Smooth, or Coco Butter

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna try and look for that Corn husker stuff in the stores. I've been having little things affect my trianing. The most recent is my thumb feels like its broke, lol. I've training my grip by using those rubber powerlifting 45 plates. I pick them up in each hand by the ends and hold for as long as I can, but as of late I've benn getting really bad pain in my thumb/wrist to the point I can't even hold curl bars. Gonna have to work on the healing aspect a little more, lol

at first i had the same problem as you, but over time your hands will harden up to the point where you will think maybe the knurling has worn down.

I lotion my hands a lot. I use Coconut Oil/Olive Oil on my hands, as lotion too. I put Handbalm. www.handbalm.com on my hands, throw some socks on my hands and go to bed. Helps a lot. Also eat a lot of pinapple and papaya.

Udder cream best I have used.

Ha, we used to use that all the time back when I was a gymnast. I forget what it was called, but the local walgreens carried it. It came in a green container and had a yellow/orange look to it. Recently I put some on my hands and the smell made me all nostalgic of hard workouts in the gym. I definetly recommend this.

There isn't a whole lot that hasn't been said already, but here is my 2 cents worth.

For Soreness there are many good products out there but at the rate we all use them and their cost per ounce it might BEHOOVE you to look in the HORSE Care products at your local feed store.

I learned about this by an article about arthritis remedies and another by a veteran stuntman of 40 years saying he swore by Bigeloil liniment and Absorbine liniment both of which come in the regular liquid or newer gel formula.

TRIVIA: Now the people at C.Y. Young company that has made these products for 110 years for horses at the beginning realized early own that it wouldn't be long before the farmers, ferriers and any manual laborer would decided if it works on lame horses that their sore muscles could benefit from this formula also thus the Absorbine Jr. product was born in 1903. In fact this company was inventor of the terminology "Athletes Foot" in the 1930s.

In fact during the early 1900's, Walter Johnson - one of the greatest baseball pitchers of all time, appeared as celebrity spokesman for Absorbine. American troops in World War II used Absorbine Jr. to ease their muscle pains. Lucien Lauren, trainer of Triple Crown Champion Secretariat also endorsed Absorbine Veterinary Liniment. So if it's good enough for battle, sports and horse racing it's good enough for the Grip Masters.

Absorbine Jr. Liniment is the suggested human formula with 1.27 Menthol plus a few other herbal ingredients some of it just to give it that green tint.

Absorbine (Sr) liniment is the equine formula with 2.0 Menthol not a huge difference but every bit counts and you get a lot more bang for the buck. In fact

a 32 oz bottle sells for around 9 - 14 dollars depending on the business.

Bigeloil very similar but with a few different ingredients like juniper berry ect...

It also comes in liquid or gel and again you get a lot more bang for the buck. In fact a 32 oz bottle sells for around 9 - 14 dollars depending on the business you patronize.

I have fairly sensitive skin when it comes to certain chemicals but I have used both products within the last 3 weeks along with Icy-Hot, Aspercream and Arthritis cream with (Capsicum a chemical extracted from peppers that make them hot) Now be damn careful with the latter one I will tell you my experience and you decide how you want to go. In 2001 after a week of long road marches (12-21 miles) with 100 lbs of battle rattle on my back and obstacle courses with my soldiers I bought this used super Capsicum containing formula and after we reached our ending point my shines felt like someone had beat them with a hammer so I pulled this product from my bag and rubber generously on my shin splints and it wasn't to bad until I covered them with my socks and leather boots. It was summer and about 97 degrees outside and my car that I jumped in was probably a minimum of 120 from that hot Alabama sun baking through the glass. Now in about a New York minute it felt like I was standing in a bed of fire ants that were not happy to see me. The kicker was that by the time the burning started good I was in traffic on a one way road with no way to stop. Now I am tougher that a case of Korean clap, but as soon as I pulled into my drive way I leaped from my car and was unlacing boots and pulling off socks in mid air trying to get to the shower to wash that liquid fire off my skin. I used cold water and soap and it helped a little but it had already sunk deep into the pores of my skin. So I had to suffer for a few hours until it dissipated. So what I do now is carefully mix 1 part Capsicum containing product with lotion or a mild menthol product, I suggest if you cover the area you do it very lightly and don't get into a car for a few minutes until you are positive you can handle the effects.

Last story I swear, I had a friend of mine at our Florida high school that was playing for our Wildcats football team. He had a sore lower back from taking to many hits during practice; well he got a jar of Icy Hot and slathered his lower back good with the ointment. Well this being Florida during spring it was good and hot for that nights game. First few plays he was doing well but soon he broke a good sweat as expected then the next play came and he lined up on the field to square off with a big corn fed meat head from the next county. Just as the ball was snapped and he burst forth, a big bead of sweat rolled down the middle of his back crossing that patch of icy hot and kept going like a heat seeking missile and stopped right in the crack of his ass. The play was going hard and so was he, of course him being receiver he was supposed to catch the ball and make the touch down. As the announcer was calling his every step, he was like a human rocket running down the field but once he was about to reach the in zone he suddenly veered off to the right unexpectedly and right of the field the crowd went wild when he broke through the band and was last seen heading for the locker room. Needless to say the crowd, both teams and coaches were equally perplexed so our coach ran towards the locker room and he soon found my friend with his pads and pants down to his ankles, trying to contort his body in a way to hike his butt up towards the shower head so that cold water hit him in the buttocks for some relief. Needless to say he was out for the rest of the game and I have never, ever rubbed my lower back with Icy Hot, Ben gay or similar menthol concoction thus avoiding a pain in the ass incident. :laugh

* Wearing a pair of mittens while you sleep supposedly aids the speed of healing due to the heat retentions properties of the mittens.

Remeber the acronyme RICE can be translated to the hands as well as for the sprains and strains of the ankles and knees.

R - rest

I - ice

C - compression

E - elevation

hahah great story gator, I appreciate the advice too. I'm gonna look into that stuff when i get a chance to locate a horse supplies place in my area.

As I climber I get severe bruising on the tips of my fingers. It is not uncomman after a serious climbing day to wake up in the middle of the night with screaming tips.

Typical treatment goes like this.

After climbing w/ dry chalk still on hands.

Sand rough edges off of tips to prevent callaous from forming unevenly (a rough rock will rip the callous off creating a "bloody flapper".

Rub hands down w/ Hoofmaker. Spend extra time on tips.

Later that night.

Contrast bath.

Rub tips/wrists/arms down with (here is the secret ingredient I swear by) Arnica gel.

Arnica is an awesome herbal theraputic gel which reduces bruising, swelling, soreness, and also seems to toughen up my tips preety well. I haven't ripped a flapper since I started using it. And I get more attempts at sharp, painfull climbs before I need to quit due to lack of skin.

Anyways, there ya go!

p.s. I find arnica and Hoofmaker @ Rite Aid or other pharmacists.

hahah great story gator,  I appreciate the advice too. I'm gonna look into that stuff when i get a chance to locate a horse supplies place in my area.

If you can't can't find a specific horse supplier in your area, try a Tractor Supply Co. if you have one. I get Absorbine Veterinary Liniment Gel from there and it helps with tendon and ligament soreness and stiffness. This is the exact same liniment that Kinney uses whom I got the idea from. ;)

Edited by ironorr

Stop horsing around...don't be lame!!! Use horse liniment...really helps the circulation...I even use it before a workout to really get the hands full of blood!

p.s. I find arnica and Hoofmaker @ Rite Aid or other pharmacists.

I tried a bit of that Hoofmaker at the local feed store just recently. Now we all know that a veterinary product cannot state any where on it's packaging that it can be used or is incouraged for human use or it will not be classified as a veterinary product and surely other rival companies would dime them out in a heart beat and sick the FDA on their ass like a pitbull.

What was funny to me was the feed store had a "Free Sample" sign on the container. Now if this was meant only for horses would they have put that on there and if it was intended for horses only the cowboy or cowgirl would have had to of rode the horse through the door up the staircase to the second floor where the horse products were to get a little squirt on each hoof.

B the way I did't see Trigger or Mr. Ed on any of the isles so their was no doubt who this was for.

"Horse Stength For Humans" Yeeee- Haaaaa!!! Ouch damn my hands hurt from my last bender. :D

Thanks for the tip on the Arnica remedy, I will have to try this for sure.

I have some Avon hand lotion called Moisture Therapy that works great. It comes in a 4.2 oz tube and most of them avon ladies have a special on it for $1.50 a tube. It has the very same main ingredient in alot of other lotions including Corn Huskers which is glycerine. It is a whole lot cheaper though.

dont discount the horse stuff either, could be good. I remember when I rode bulls I used to take a horse anti inflammatory called Bute (not sure on the spelling) if I remember correctly. definitely NOT recommended but I would think a topical lotion would be OK