Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Thursday
Gripper work - volume
TSG only. MRI later. The current aim is to no-set close for reps a 3 right handed. It helps training to have a focus.
L/H: My easier RB240 x a bunch of singles. Then the harder one for a few more followed by 3 x 3 (couple a fraction short).
R/H: Warmed up with RB240E, then RB240H, then the RB260. The work set was CoC3 x 3 x 3 reps (1 short). All slightly set and with a rest-pause style (hand off briefly before closing again). 3 reps taking about 20-seconds max

Friday
Well the MRI didn't happen yesterday. Even though I filled out a questionnaire and rang as I had had a blood clot on the brain when I was 9 (so might have had a clip used to close off the bleed) and was told it was ok - it wasn't. So I'll need a skull x-ray then, if that's ok my back can have an MRI scan.

Seated Press
Left shoulder still restricted but... worked up to 92.5-kilos x 4 reps

Hammer DB Curls
Got ahead of myself (by not checking my diary) working to 50-kilos each x 4 reps

TPD
On my preferred machine: 7p x 12 reps, 11p x 10 reps and 14.5p x 8 reps

Monday
Usual straightening my leg issues then...
L/Press
80-kilos x 15 reps, 160-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 360-kilos x 8 reps

Seated L/Curls
1/2 stack x 12 reps, 3/4 stack x 12 reps, stack x 8 +4 r/p reps

L/Extension
1/2 stack x 12 reps, 3/4 stack x 12 reps, stack x 10 + 2 r/p reps

S/Squat
bar (25kg) x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps, 55-kilos x 8 reps

Wednesday
Stiff and hard to settle into a comfortable position before hand (kept getting twinges from the sciatic nerve while in the office) but fine after.

Close grip bench press
bar x 12 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 90-kilos x 6 reps, 122.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps (all nice and fast - way better than the last session).

Iso lever row
40-kilos a side x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps (to this point both arms at the same time), 80-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps

Double overhand thick bar thumbless
Took a wide grip and used a shoulder width foot position
35-kilo solid bar x 8 reps, 75-kilos (which I mentally had as 55 lol) x 3 x 8 fast reps

Bwt (fed well yesterday): 19st 10lbs / 278lbs

Thursday
TSG volume work
Usual warm ups then
L/H: RB240 x 3 r/p, 3 r/p, 3 r/p, 3 r/p reps
R/H: CoC 3 x 1, 2, 3 r/p, 4 r/p reps

Friday
Up at 4am as I wanted to be in the gym early prior to a dental appt in town. Then shopping after - Carpe Diem and all that. Arrived 7.40am (earliest ever). My body (esp on presses) and mind were, I think, still an hour behind me but I got it done eventually.
Seated Press
bar x 15 reps (left delt not liking this at all). 50-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 6 r/p reps, accidental load of 110-kilos x fail (then I realized why), finally 95-kilos x 1, then 3 solid reps (it's awake!!)

Hammer DB Curls
to 50-kilos x 5 or 6 reps @

TPD
to 15p x 8 reps (good set)

Bwt (good days food intake yesterday) 280lbs

Monday
Cracking session which I know I'm gonna feel for later ha ha

L/Press
to 400-kilos x 8 reps

S/L/Curls
to stack x 11+1 reps

L/Extensions
to stack x 12 reps

Safety bar squats
to 65-kilos x 3 x 8 reps (mild irritation of sciatic nerve in right glute)

Bwt: 280lbs

Tuesday
Wrist Roller
33.75-kilos x 3 reps, 35-kilos x 3 reps, 36.25-kilos x 3 reps. Any day now it'll be 40 and I'll start looking at different jumps. So, for example, when I'm hitting 100 (hopefully) I'll warm up with 40, then 60-70 then the 100.

Wednesday
Both the bench push and the deadlift pull were done as fast as possible

Close grip bench press
to 125kg x 2 x 1 reps, 127.5kg x 2 x 1 reps (a little slow)

Double overhand thick bar deadlift - thumbless
35kg bar x 15 reps, 80kg x 3 x 8 reps
Bare in mind I was that stiff before the gym. Picking up dropped coins was had work

Lat Pulldowns (aka LPD)
1/2 stack x 8 reps, 3/4 stack x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, +5p x 8 reps - all v-handled

Thursday
Gripper work
Left hand not co-operating (two days of thick bar??)
R/H: to CoC3 x 3 x 4 r/p reps

Friday
I made the mistake of waking very early, having an early breakfast then going back to bed. It meant, when I woke much later, too big a gap between eating and the gym. So training was harder than it needed to be. Plus the left shoulder was really not cooperating- basically either an impingement or bicep tendonitis is restricting my range of movement overhead. So I switched to a facing inward position on the machine (see below) and this means an arc of movement which is up and forward. There is no bracing of the back so it's not too dissimilar to a seated military press done on a flat bench. We've two iso press type machines. One you sit more upright on and the other is a more inclined version. I used the preferred incline - facing into the seat etc

Iso-Press
to 50-kilos x 4 reps

Hammer DB Curls
to 55-kilos x 4 reps

TPD
to 15p + the smaller '1/2' size stacker plate x 6 reps

For your wrist rolling, do you hold the weights with the tool in the air (arms out in front) or do you have it in a pipe somewhere and just work only the forearms (holding it works shoulders etc.)?

• Like 1

Monday
Sensible o'clock and decently fed (remains of a large ham omelette)

L/Press
foot plate x lots of reps one and two legged. 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 350-kilos x 8 reps and 450-kilos x 8 reps

Seated Leg Curls
to stack x 12 reps

L/Ext
to stack x 12 reps, then I added 2 stacker plates x 10 reps

S/Squat bar
x 12 reps, 55-kilos x 8 reps, 70-kilos x 3 x 8 reps (better and more comfortable the more reps and sets I did)

Bwt: 280lbs

On 23/10/2016 at 4:53 AM, Yan_Wei said:

For your wrist rolling, do you hold the weights with the tool in the air (arms out in front) or do you have it in a pipe somewhere and just work only the forearms (holding it works shoulders etc.)?

It's always, as it is now, done with a bar set up in a power rack. Given the weights I've done and want to do again I'd be damned if I held it out in any way. Heck, I couldn't do it with the weight I do now.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2016 at 1:43 PM, jordi said:

Helo Steve, I´ve seen, always enter curl Hammer in your training. It gives you something for your grip prevention?

Regards,

Not prevention - enhancement. I'm fast approaching the age where full supination of a dumbbell or even being able to hold onto a e-z bar never mind a straight bar isn't going to happen. I just don't have the flexibility anymore. Hammer curls, as well as working the thickness of the upper arm via the Brachilais also adds something to the top of the forearm where the muscle inserts. Among bodybuilders our current Mr O - Phil Heath - has meat a-plenty in this area. Some of us grip guys like to look like our forearms have meat on them. Reverse curls work as do reverse wrist curls. Or, as I have done in the past, going both ways on the wrist roller work. My grip is enhanced, as well as the forearm, by virtue of having to hang on to the dumbbells as I NEVER use wrist straps and they can get heavy (I've cheat hammer curled as much as a 90kg 'bell right handed while holding onto the same with my left). At the top weights I do wrap the wrist.

Tuesday
W/roller
Usual format for now.
36.25-kilos x 3 reps, 37.5-kilos x 3 reps, 38.75-kilos x 3 reps

Wednesday
Both my big toes are even squeezed by my washed and possibly shrunken boots or I bruised them walking yesterday - they hurt.

Close Grip Bench
Left shoulder issues as per so a lot of warming it up.
Bar x 15 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 90-kilos x 6 reps, 125-kilos x 1 rep, 127.5-kilos x 3 x 1 rep. All decent

Double overhand thick bar thumbless deadlift
I've a number in mind for April and in a few more weeks start working on power. These are all speed.
Bar (35) x 15 reps, 75-kilos x 8 reps, 85-kilos x 2 x 8 reps (decent pump on 2nd set)

Low Row using double stirrup handle
Pulled high into my diaphragm as a rear delt move (see id this helps the left shoulder)
5p x 15 reps, 10p x 15 reps, 12p x 12 reps

Bwt: 282lbs!! Baring in mind lunch was sandwiches yesterday the only difference I did this morning was scoff a pack of biscuits before the gym.

Thursday
Gripper work - volume
I warmed up with the Vulcan and then switched to the TSG type
L/H: RB 240 (easier model) x 3 x 2 reps and 1 blast at 4 reps - all rest pause (R/P)
R/H: CoC 3 x 3 x 4 reps and 1 x 7 reps.
Most of the beginning reps etc sitting down but standing up adds something so did the rest that way. By the last set for both hands I was in the zone so just went for it. Pauses were 10-15 seconds max

• Like 1

Friday
Woken at silly o'clock by the cats trying to get at remnants if the shellfish I'd had for supper (2.30am) I went back to sleep and next thing ya know it's a late, for me, 7.30am. Whether this or the fact of getting back to, strength wise, where I previously was is hard... anyway sluggish sums it up. So I ground out the reps

Seated Iso Press (inwards as before)
to 55-kilos x 1 (too heavy) rep, dropped back to 50-kilos a side and did 4 +3 r/p reps (these being 1 arm at a time)

Hammer d/b curls
to 55-kilos x 6 loose reps

TPD
to 15p+1 stacker plate x 6 reps

Monday
A hard leg day

L/Press
to 440-kilos x 8 reps. Worked in with another member and so the seat was at hole 3 until I got to 320-kilos

S/L/Curls
to stack x 12 reps

L/Ext
to stack + 2 plates x 12 reps

Safety Squat
bar x 8 reps, 65-kilos x 8 reps, 85-kilos x 3 x 8 reps