Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Friday
Steam coming from my ears due to the bank and B/Gas being useless etc etc. So I used that to fuel the workout. I was running a bit late too boot.

Seated Iso Press
to 70-kilos a side x 4 reps a side. Deffo felt stronger than the last time I attempted this.

Adjustable Thick Handle work
to set up +
L/H: 115-kilos x 3 x 3 r/p reps (re set my hand each time)
R/H: 120-kilos x 3 x 3 r/p reps

Hammer D/B Curls
to 42.5-kilos x 8 reps (held back a bit here)

TPD
to 16p x 6 reps (wanted 7)

So last night Odd Haugen, strongman, as he has done these last few years ran the Ironmind Rolling Thunder championships. Using Facebooks 'live' feature he allowed us grip guys to watch the show from start to finish.

Inspired by some of the efforts I decided to have a go this morning in lieu of the wrist roller work. Now it's worth stating ahead of time that my handle is well knackered and barely spins so correlation between a properly spinning one and mine is up to you. The tip top numbers are 300-330lbs and yesterday the last best pull was, I think, 264lbs or 120kilos total. The winner tried a bit more but he was done.

With all that in mind:

Sunday
IMRT set up + 40, 60 add 80-kilos x 3 reps each hand. Then 100 and 120-kilos x 1 rep each. Finally I loaded 135-kilos plus the kit and did one good pull x 1 rep with my right only. More or less 300lbs

• Like 2

Monday
Tiny bit late but feeling good (99% better after the virus) so a nice solid session. No rush - took my time
L/Press
620-kilos x 8 reps

P/Squat Machine
to 260-kilos x 8 reps (220kg was nice and so went again)

S/L/Curls
stack + 3 plates x 8 reps

L/Extension
stack + 3 plates x 8 reps

Tuesday
Rough nights sleep (woke at 2.15am and took an age to drop back off and me and the bedding were having a huge fight lol) following a day of iffy belly (again).

2 Hand Pinch
Felt slightly dizzy after every one of the heavy sets
Up another 1.25-kilos x 3, 3 and 4 (not 6 as preferred).

Wednesday
Iffy belly finally started to settle late afternoon. Early to bed and then, midnight, I wake hungry so scoffed a plate of pasta then back to sleep. Session could have been a touch quicker rep wise and less pauses but still...

DOTBDLTL
warmed up, bar x 8 reps, 75-kilos x 8 reps, 115-kilos x 6 reps, 155-kilos x r/p  3 reps, 165-kilos x 3 r/p reps, 170-kilos x 3 r/p reps

Low Cable Row
3/4 stack x 12 reps, stack x 12 reps, stack + 6.5 stacker plates x 12 reps

Smith Bench Press
Shoulder, shoulder, shoulder.... grrr
Every rep regardless of weight is pain so a BIG rethink is needed.

Friday
I'd hat 'itchy feet' yesterday (felt like hitting the gym) but I'm glad I rested cos today was brutal. The press took the edge of the triceps later and I pulled a layer of skin in places on my fingers on the one hand. That's an all body ball buster too when you get to 200-kilos.

Seated Io Press (usual form)
x 15, 20-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 6 reps, 71.25-kilos (per side and 1 arm at a time) x 4 tough reps

s/s

Hammer DB Curls
to 45-kilos@  x 8 reps

One hand lift (still working on reps for now)
100-kilos x 8 reps @, 150-kilos x 3 reps @, 200-kilos x 2 r/p reps @, 2 r/p reps, 1 (RH only and skin started to tear) rep. Half way through I switched from my dinnie ring handle to a non rotating lightly knurled v handle. I also used 8 x 25-kilo plates as using 20's meant I could only get 180-kilos on the pin

TPD
8 x 8 reps, 12 x 8 reps, 16+1p x 4(!) reps, 12 x 12 reps

Monday
L/Press
to 630-kilos x 8 reps (seat right back), then x 8 reps (H2)

Adj/T/Bar
Struggled with my right hand due to the finger skin tear. My left, on the other hand (pun intended boom, boom) went well.
B/H: 60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps
L/H: 117.5-kilos x 2, 3, 3, 3, 3 reps (slow start then an extra set). S/setted with leg work

P/Squat
to 290-kilos x 6 reps

S/L/Curl
stack + 3p x 9 reps

L/Ext
stack + 3p x 9 reps

Tuesday
First time in a long time using any gripper. If I stay on the current program (see below) then I'm hitting all 4 competition exercises once a week and, hopefully, not over train my thumb.

V/Gripper
B/H: 1/1 x 8 reps, 3/3 x 3 reps, 4/4 x 1 reps, 5/5 x 1 reps
L/H: 5/6 x VVN, VVN, N, F, VN reps
R/H: 6/6 x VVN, VVN, 1, 1, 1 reps

Prog:
Adj on Mon

DOTBDLTL on Wed

2HP on Thur

Dinnie for time on Fri

Wednesday
I was doing my grumpy cat impression today (maybe the energy is a mid week thing??) for various reasons including how hard everything seemed to be in the gym. I did remind myself it wasn't that long ago I was crawling around the house but it's still frustrating just the same. I ate well enough yesterday so it's not that.

DOTBDLTL
bar x 8 reps, 75-kilos x 8 ,reps, 115-kilos x 3 reps, 155-kilos x 1 rep, 165-kilos x 1 rep, 175-kilos x F, 1, 1, 1, 1(H), F, 1(H) reps

Iso Inc Bench
Trying a different approach due to the on-going issue with my left shoulder. The Iso press doesn't irritate it as much as bench pressing so I thought of replicating the angle for chest might be a way to go. Apart from the usual issue with such machines (suiting shorter people with shorter arms etc) it seemed ok. Relatively light for me.

5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30-kilos a side all x 12 reps

LPD (H machine)
10p x 8 reps, 15p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps

Then off to town for appt @ 1.15pm

Thursday
Late start (lie in - I notice I seem to do these after heavy days before) and an appt (2hrs) later.
2 Hand Pinch
Added another 1.25-kilos (around 89 or so) x 3, x 3, x 6 reps (happy with that)

Friday
Early (ish) session as I attended Pontypridd JCP after regarding approval of funding for an SIA card training course (was meant to be between 1pm and 4pm - I was done, approved and out by 2pm lol)

Seated Iso Press*
Usual format
to 72.5-kilos a side x 4 hard reps

Hammer DB Curls*
to 45-kilos per side x 2 x 6 reps

One Hand Lift*
to 200-kilos a hand x 2 r/p reps and 1 rep (slight blood blister on previously injured right finger but still more than last time all told)

* Giant paused set format these 3.

TPD
to 15p x 8 reps

Sunday
In lieu of Monday (see how I feel after a course day - starts tomorrow)

Adj T/Bar
60-kilos x 8 reps (alt per hand), 100-kilos x 3 reps (alt), 118.75-kilos x 3 sets x 3 (alt 1st and 2nd set) reps

Tuesday
Another early finish (more conflict management stuff tomorrow, hands on / handling Thursday and exams Friday). Mum in hospital... waiting to see whats what. There's no way I'll go to the gym with the 5 o'clock crowd so it's grip again (one week only).

V/Gripper
B/H: 1/1 x 8 reps, 3/3 x 3 reps, 4/4 x 1 rep
L/H: 5/5 x 1 rep, 6/5 x 1/4", 5/6 x N, VN, VN
R/H: 5/6 x 1, 6/6 x 2 x 1, 6/7 x VN, TnG, VVN

Hi, I'm using a V shaped low row pulley handle (one side only). DOTBDTLT - Double Overhand Thick Bar Deadlift Thumbless. TPD - Tricep Pressdown

Monday
Took my foot of the pedal a tad. All last week and event up to today I seem to be waking up around 4.30am. I've a low grade throat thing (sitting in an air-conditioned room for a week??) so am taking paracetamol. However, apart from energy, once I warmed up I was good to go.

L/Press
to 600-kilos (a few less than the week before last) x 8 reps (H1), 8 reps (H2)

Power Squat machine
Deffo felt ok on this so...
to 300-kilos x 6 reps

S/L/Curls
to stack +3p x 10 reps

L/Ext
to stack +3p x 10 reps

Tuesday
Coughing and spluttering through the night (complete with tissue wedged into my nostrils) I still, CT Fletcher style, 'get my sh*t done'.

V/Gripper
Keeping my hand in, as it were, on grippers
B/H: 1/1 x 8 reps, 3/3 x 3 reps, 4/4 x 1 rep
L/H: 5/5 x 3 x 1 reps, 5/6 x VVN, VN, VN, VN
R/H: 5/5 x 1 rep, 5/6 x 1 rep, 6/6 x 2 x 1 reps, 6/7 x VVN, 1, VVN

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎17 at 1:15 PM, mobsterone said:

V/Gripper
B/H: 1/1 x 8 reps, 3/3 x 3 reps, 4/4 x 1 reps, 5/5 x 1 reps
L/H: 5/6 x VVN, VVN, N, F, VN reps
R/H: 6/6 x VVN, VVN, 1, 1, 1 reps

Hello Mobsterone,

I am interested in understanding your set up...

B/H=?

VVN=?     N=?   F=?     VN=?

BR/Göran

Shorthand for N=Near, VN=Very Near and VVN=Very Very Near (almost but not quite closed - maybe 1-2mm between the handles). B/H = both hands

Wednesday
Usual shenanigans after. Struggled through the gym work (not happy about it). Slept a little better if for sweating like a good 'un

DOTBDLTL
to 180-kilos x 1, 1, F, F, F. The fails all came off the floor easily but either that was it or I couldn't lock out. The first 2 were lovely.

Iso Inc B/Press
to 32.5-kilos x 10 reps

Iso L/P/Downs
60-kilos x 3 x 8 reps (tried p/overs with half the stack prior to this but it irritated the hell out of my left shoulder cuff)

Edited by mobsterone
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mobsterone said:

Shorthand for N=Near, VN=Very Near and VVN=Very Very Near (almost but not quite closed - maybe 1-2mm between the handles). B/H = both hands

Wednesday
Usual shenanigans after. Struggled through the gym work (not happy about it). Slept a little better if for sweating like a good 'un

DOTBDLTL
to 180-kilos x 1, 1, F, F, F. The fails all came off the floor easily but either that was it or I couldn't lock out. The first 2 were lovely.

Iso Inc B/Press
to 32.5-kilos x 10 reps

Iso L/P/Downs
60-kilos x 3 x 8 reps (tried p/overs with half the stack prior to this but it irritated the hell out of my left shoulder cuff)

Thank you for explanation:)/Göran

My pleasure. It's far easier to do it that way than write it out each time.

Thursday
Ahh the benefits of a half decent nights sleep. I've stopped sniffing like it's an Olympic event (still a bit and a tad bunged up) and only woke once briefly. Not quite up at the lark etc but feeling the difference. One more day should do it.

2 Hand Pinch
Threw on, as per, another 1.25-kilo and did 3, 3 and 6 reps. Felt good

Friday
Iso B/Press
to 73.75-kilos x 3 reps @ (ok considering last week was off but 4 would have been better)

Hammer DB Curls*
to 45-kilos x 2 x 7 reps

TPD*
to 15p x 6 reps

One Hand Lift*
to 200-kilos x 2 x 1 reps. I had 3 x 1 reps in me but tore skin on the middle fingers L/H and forced a blood blister on the middle finger right (under the scar tissue from the last one). Much like the Meat Hook Deadlift it seems that I'm tearing skin almost every workout.

*G/Sets

Monday
Longish session only by virtue of enjoying a good old chin wag with a competitive member a little too much. Tape on one hands thumb and one finger (where the skins dry it's splitting if I pull on it)

L/Press
Felt heavy (but everything else after was ok so maybe it's because this is first etc).
to 640-kilos x 8 reps H1 only

P/Squat
to 310-kilos x 6 reps

s/s

Adj/T/bar
B/H: to 125-kilos + set up x 3 x 3 reps

S/L/Curl
stack +4 plates x 8 reps

L/Ext
stack +4 plates x 8 reps

Wednesday
Usual in town and errands after
DOTBDLTL
Had to back off back down to a working poundage of 175-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

iso Inc B/Press
to 32.5-kilos x 8 reps. Felt good for more but held back

Iso P/Downs
No warm ups just straight in at 62.5-kilos x 3 x 8 reps (last time was a better pump - not enough carbs?)