Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

I e-mailed John Beatty about getting a witness and certifying on the Big Bastard. Would a Big Bastard cert earn the 29th spot now? I assume that any bend that equals one that's already on the board is moved down a spot? Makes sense to me just wanted to clarify.

I think a Huge Bastard cert isn't too far away. It's amazing the level of bending on here... :rock

I e-mailed John Beatty about getting a witness and certifying on the Big Bastard. Would a Big Bastard cert earn the 29th spot now? I assume that any bend that equals one that's already on the board is moved down a spot? Makes sense to me just wanted to clarify.

I think a Huge Bastard cert isn't too far away. It's amazing the level of bending on here... :rock

Yep, you would own the 29th position. Not too shabby, Bendzilla!

Yep, you would own the 29th position. Not too shabby, Bendzilla!

Great news! Thanks a lot Eric! You've given me quite a few tips and ideas yourself. I was hoping to break into the 50th spot in a few years... :ohmy So this is a wonderful surprise for me. :rock

Eric-

I've added a few more toys, I'll send you a few to test out, including the 7" x 3/8" grade 2's Franky wanted.

Well I have those Monsters now.

ERR!!!!!

I had a fun time even trying to prekink them!

WAY harder then 5/16" G5s.

Nice block weights. :tongue

Edited by FrankyBoy

• 1 month later...

Talk about a nail from Hades!

I calibrated a 70D Grip Rite nail made in China at a very modest 285 pounds. I then hooked up the same brand and size nail from the US of A and it took a woppin' 475 pounds to get the job done. I bent one by hand and discovered it's a tough nail throughout the range of motion, probably tougher than the FBBC 5/16" hexagonal stock on the crushdown!

Talk about a nail from Hades!

I calibrated a 70D Grip Rite nail made in China at a very modest 285 pounds. I then hooked up the same brand and size nail from the US of A and it took a woppin' 475 pounds to get the job done. I bent one by hand and discovered it's a tough nail throughout the range of motion, probably tougher than the FBBC 5/16" hexagonal stock on the crushdown!

Wow that's awesome! I'll have to get some of those hard ones.

I'm going to be looking for some Edgins now. I may be ready in a few months to take one down. I'm surprised the Edgin isn't anywhere on the Top 50 List though. Guess it's hard to figure out where it fits in with everything else.

I think I'll try to stick to the 7" length for a while too. That doesn't mean I won't bend anything shorter, but 7" is really fitting me well lately. I wish there was something a bit harder than a 7" Shiny Bastard but not as hard as the 7" Square 5/16" stock. Because that does seem unreachable for me. And maybe for everyone but the few freaks of nature that want to spend every waking moment thinking about it. And power to them if they decide to do that! :rock

Ben, the Edgin was once on the list, actually. The thing is, though, despite the Edgin being tougher than the Shiny during the kink phase, the Shiny really gets stubborn that last inch of the crush, as you know. So, though an Edgin will rank higher than a Shiny, a Big Shiny ranks higher than the Edgin. Of course I'm sure there will be folks who can do a Big Shiny, but get stumped by the Edgin's initial kink. Also, keep in mind that the Edgin is actually about 3/16" longer than true 7" stock, which tends to make the initial kink feel even more awkward. It's a challenging bolt, for sure! But I know you'll be getting one VERY soon.

Was kind of tired and wrapped up the only "Edgin" that I could find. Nothing! Upon closer inspection I was more tired than I thought. :tongue Because it was a 5/16"X6" Grade 5. :D That was all I could find. Totally didn't even check the length before wrapping it up and giving it hell. I don't think I budged it at all though. Need to get a 7" Edgin. Wouldn't mind getting an 8" either although that would feel ultra strange length-wise.

A 7.5 incher felt easier than an Edgin for me, but the 8 incher, because of its awkward length, felt more difficult. I suspect if I trained with the 8 inch length it would eventually become easier than a standard Edgin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric, out of crazy curiosity........could you calibrate 2 1/4" 6" g5's taped together for me.........

if you have the time of course.

thank you

Was kind of tired and wrapped up the only "Edgin" that I could find. Nothing! Upon closer inspection I was more tired than I thought. :tongue Because it was a 5/16"X6" Grade 5. :D That was all I could find. Totally didn't even check the length before wrapping it up and giving it hell. I don't think I budged it at all though. Need to get a 7" Edgin. Wouldn't mind getting an 8" either although that would feel ultra strange length-wise.

Ben, you put away a 6" Edgin and you are ready for the BIG G8.. :whacked ........just to let you know where it's at

Hey Eric, out of crazy curiosity........could you calibrate 2 1/4" 6" g5's taped together for me.........

if you have the time of course.

thank you

Ben, you put away a 6" Edgin and you are ready for the BIG G8.. :whacked ........just to let you know where it's at

Sean, my current setup won't allow for the securing of two bolts side by side. I might see if I can locate something that would work next time I'm at the hardware store.

Eric, do you know if anyone has tried the 7"x5/16 square FBBC yet? I'm tempted to challenge it a some point in the not too distant future to see where its at.

-Aaron

Eric, do you know if anyone has tried the 7"x5/16 square FBBC yet? I'm tempted to challenge it a some point in the not too distant future to see where its at.

-Aaron

Yes, it's been tried by some of the best, but as far as I know, it has yet to be subdued.

• 1 month later...

Eric,

Any plans for more calibrating? I love this list and always look for it to be updated. What brand are the Grade 9s that you calibrated if I may ask?

I wonder about the 5/16 zinc plated rod as a possible appetizer for the Red Nail. From bending piece of the zinc stuff I'd say it's significantly harder than HR but easier than CR.

I'm suprised nobody has tried 11/32 CRS. It's not really hard to find and be a step to the 3/8 steel.

Great list!

Tim

Eric,

Any plans for more calibrating? I love this list and always look for it to be updated. What brand are the Grade 9s that you calibrated if I may ask?

I wonder about the 5/16 zinc plated rod as a possible appetizer for the Red Nail. From bending piece of the zinc stuff I'd say it's significantly harder than HR but easier than CR.

I'm suprised nobody has tried 11/32 CRS. It's not really hard to find and be a step to the 3/8 steel.

Great list!

Tim

Tim, I'm mainly calibrating upon request. The grade nines were gold in color, with an "L" stamped on the head. I'm not sure what the "L" signifies.

I've never tried 11/32" steel, but it does sound like a good idea to bridge the gap.

Ive bent a little bit in my time and im not a great bender by any means but i have a question to the greats. If the stainless is 715 and the square is 705 than why is it SO much harder for the greats to do?

I thought the 3/8 would never go by human hands well I was proven wrong on that one, but why cant any one do the square??

Ive bent a little bit in my time and im not a great bender by any means but i have a question to the greats. If the stainless is 715 and the square is 705 than why is it SO much harder for the greats to do?

I thought the 3/8 would never go by human hands well I was proven wrong on that one, but why cant any one do the square??

Its the Kink I think. 715 on the Huge SS at 6" is not even the same zip code as 705 at 7" on square stock. The longer it gets the tougher it is to get leverage to get all of your power into it. Plus square stock is pretty tough on the initial kink just because it is square. SS is easier to ge moving but then it loads up. That is not nearly as bad though because you have already got it moving and the ends are closer together in the power zone. As long as you have the power to crush it your fine. You really would have to have a super powerful kink to get stuff that tough at 7", this would include the 3/8 King Bast. The only person who could really say is probably Pat though. Since he has done the 3/8.

- Aaron

Which one is harder, the 3/8 round or 5/16 square?

I'm sure the 3/8 is harder then the 5/16 square. I'm sure the 5/16 square has been done or is capable of being done.

IMO Gazza can bend it ( the square)

Reply to me gazza if you are reading this :D

Edited by Alawadhi

Alawadhi

sorry to disapiont you mate but i dont bend anymore :D It wasnt worth all the behind the scenes shit what wraps to use.always being referred to as a folder etc.

Besides i threw all my fbbc stuff in the trash so i couldnt bend even if i wanted to.

Glad you and others here are still enjoying bending but for me the passion has gone as i was only ever a clown chaseing lists and scamming people or so i was told :D