Victorian Grip Challenge 2008

gripmaniac

Victorian Grip Challenge 2008

Date: 2nd March 2008

Venue: Melbourne University, Parkville

Entry fee: $20

Qualifying standard: Must be able to MMS close CoC#1.

Events:

-> Ironmind RT (standard grip - NO thumblessness)

-> CoC#1 Straphold with 2.5kg weight

-> Euro 2HP

-> LGC V-bar

-> Farmers timed hold (a stand alone event)

Prizes:

-Men 1st place $150 + trophy

-Men 2nd place $100 + trophy

-Men 3rd place $50 + trophy

-Most determined male lifter medal (discretionary award)

-Women 1st place $150 + trophy

-Women 2nd place $100 + trophy

-Women 3rd place $50 + trophy

-Most determined female lifter medal (discretionary award)

-Farmers Timed Hold Prize.

In addition there'll be a playtime session afterwards during which I'll do a unbraced bending demo session (DO, DU, reverse) and make available some freebie beginners stock, pads, etc for budding bendalohics.

Dave

I should also mention that as a comp organiser and chief judge I'll be competing as a guest lifter only (ie. ineligble for placing & $$$$).

On the positive side I'll be striving mightily to break Mikael's Australian records in the 2HP & V-bar (individual & combined total) events. Nice bloke that he is, I think he's held them for long enough :D

Vid footage will be taken & posted.

Dave

Looks like a good contest, Dave!

I wish you all the best going for the Aussie records!

Those are some mighty generous awards, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Where exactly at the uni will it be? Me and a few lads will come down for a look for sure.By the way, what strap type will be used in the comp..thickness/material etc..and will the vbar be wiped down slick beforehand?

How many of the sept boys have re-entered as well?

Thanks

Brendan

Street address:

Enter from Grattan Street,

Swanston Street or Elizabeth Street

in the Melbourne suburb of Parkville.

(Melway Ref. 2B & 43)

CAMPUS MAP (you will need this...the campus is huge!!)

http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/propertyandbuildings/whereis.php3?subcat=8 ://http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/proper....php3?subcat=8

Select 'Parkville - Main Campus' from the list of maps and the

comp will be held in the 'sports centre' shown in grid position '17C'

When inside the building, go to the first floor ... we have

the 'East Stadium' booked. It is a HUGE hall normally used

for basketball/volleyball etc.

=================

The thinner of the 2 IM Straps will be used - it's about 3mm thick.

=================

The v-bar will be the same LGC replica v-bar as used in the Sept comp. I won't be cleaning it again. . .nor will I be training with it prior to the comp - so it'll be relatively chalk-free . . . .but not too slippery. :cool

=================

At this stage I know of 5-6 guys who will be competing again.

Note: Competing is heeeeeeeeeeeaps more fun than simply spectating.

Dave

Cheers Dave, If Im injury free and the other boys too, you will have another 3 (amateurs) signing up, is paying on the day fine?

Brendan

awesome, I'll put that on the calendar for sure. Not good enough to compete but it'll be a great day regardless look forward to it!

Thanks

Troy

Mate as long as Dave dont compete, the doors wide open, an 18 year old is coming with me (and his father) and he will be competing, have a go :rock

Brendan

Edited by verdigriz

haha I don't know, I'm 17 and only just getting into grip! hmmm maybe I'll train grip instead of study for year 12 haha, yeah, I'll do that.

Whatever you decide, come along and learn, I know thats what Ill be doing :cool

• 4 weeks later...

Any grip goodies coming along? Blobs, inch, grippers etc? Ill bring my pig #3 that will probably be rated as easy :angry:

I'll be bringing along most of my grippers, and a few grip toys (commercial and homemade) for people to try.

The only blob in Australia I know of is in Sydney. . . .and I have no idea where Nick's Inch DB is these days (could be in Sydney or back in the UK!).

Dave

Ill bring my IM hub and pinch block for people to try out aswell. Ive got a thick dumbell from James and a thick lever bar thing that I made up at home. I can bring those along if your interested aswell.

Take care

Tom

We gptta change this blob and inch situation, even if its a joint foundry co-op situation here in oz....

Looking forward to the other toys boys, ill bring a 20kg hex and a few grippers as well.

:rock:rock

have we got any more details are as far as what time to get there, rough finishing time? etc.

Hey,

Details are on http://www.aussiestrength.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=370 , if it does not work go to forums then its under capo.

Competition rules have also been posted for the four events which are also on aussiestrength website.

Take care

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how many people are coming along to compete this coming Sunday? I will be competing and have pursuaded my freind to come and compete awell.

See you all there

Tom

I'll be there. . .hang on. . . I'm co-organizing it :D

For those first time competitors, a couple of things you may want to bring along:

- A couple of hand towels

- Drink bottle / sports drink

- Snacks (muesli bars, etc) – we DON’T stop for lunch!

- Your favorite chalk (although James & I will have plenty available)

Cameras/Camcorders welcome. I’ll be taping all comp lifts and making a DVD available (subject to acquiring technical know-how) at a later date . . . .I hope!

Dave

Unless I break a hand in bed or other nightmarish situations (wife slams fridge shut while needing beer), you will have another 2 taking place tomorrow...and the young boy who cant close the #1 with his left having a crack at the fbbc certs later on, should be a good day!

Kiwi